460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Yet another example of how utterly stupid street racing is. Three dead and two going to prison.

Waco man gets prison over 2006 street racing deaths

The Associated Press
WACO, Texas — A driver must serve 10 years in prison over an October 2006 street racing crash in Waco that killed two women and one's unborn child.

Jason Cory Maddux, 21, of Waco pleaded guilty Monday to racing resulting in death and to manslaughter.

The victims were in the Maddux car — 20-year-olds Amanda Marie Weber of Waco and Julia "Meagon" Campbell Adkins of Riesel, police said. Adkins was about six months pregnant.

Investigators say Maddux was driving a car that went out of control and hit a tree while street racing with his uncle.

Michael Steven Strasser, 45, who was driving a pickup, pleaded guilty in 2007 to racing resulting in death. He must serve 10 years in prison.

Maddux attorney Phil Martinez told the Waco Tribune-Herald that his client has some mental, psychological issues that were taken into consideration.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Yeah, as if the guy doesn't feel bad enough about it already. Punishment is fine to teach someone manners/respect, but prison won't teach common sense and won't right past mistakes. It's crazy that we still call them "correctional facilities". Oh well, way to just make some family's lives harder and create more of a burden on tax payers... :?

·
Registered
860 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
ScottJackson said:
Yeah, as if the guy doesn't feel bad enough about it already. Punishment is fine to teach someone manners/respect, but prison won't teach common sense and won't right past mistakes. It's crazy that we still call them "correctional facilities". Oh well, way to just make some family's lives harder and create more of a burden on tax payers... :?
So you're saying that it's okay the guy killed three people doing something blatantly illegal (not to mention stupid) just as long as he feels bad about it?

Brad

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
What ScottJackson meant to say was, "Just get a rope and find a tall ole tree!"

Scott you make sence more and more these days!

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I'm saying that two wrongs don't equal a right in this case. The guys did something stupid and I'm sure they've learned from their mistake. They don't need prison to make them change their ways. If they're dumb enough to not have realized it was something they should never do again, prison isn't going to teach them any better. So prison for them serves no positive purpose.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
ScottJackson said:
I'm saying that two wrongs don't equal a right in this case. The guys did something stupid and I'm sure they've learned from their mistake. They don't need prison to make them change their ways. If they're dumb enough to not have realized it was something they should never do again, prison isn't going to teach them any better. So prison for them serves no positive purpose.
So,,,,,,,,,,,,,, what your saying is..... "get a rope and find a tall ole tree!"

·
Registered
823 Posts
I agree with you 100% Scott. It does no one any good to punish. As you mentioned, that's why they are called "correctional facilities". 10 years is not gonna do anyone any good, that's just keeping dangerous people from hurting the rest of society, but if you're gonna go with any long term jail sentences you may as well just do the rope and tree thing, it's cheap and quick. No sense wasting our money paying for 10+ wasted years of someone's life. Punishment only creates resentment and anger, he'll likely be bitter when he gets out. Who knows what trouble that will cause him and others.

So perhaps being realistic would be best. It sounds like these people all knew eachother, so even more so than if it were strangers I'm sure the guy has learned his lesson. The weight alone of playing a role in those two girls deaths is most likely enough for him to have figured it out. Surely there's a more appropriate and constructive way to deal with the unfortunate situation.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Seriously, it's a sad situation when ever this happens.

As for all this talk about punishment, I don't want this thread to get into it.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Ah well, at least it will be 10 years or more before he can do it again.

Those not wanting the prison idea - what would your answer be? - let him go 'cos he's sorry?

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Since you asked, yes. Let him go because it seems time doesn't wait around for anyone (innocents or perps) and I don't foresee the two guys doing this again. It won't fix what's been broken. Isn't the idea of punishment to convince someone to not intentionally do something again? If the person needs no convincing, then no punishment is needed. There's a big difference between constructive punishment and vengeance. I know I'm weird because I don't get any pleasure out of getting revenge. I've been told I sould run for Jesus. So I guess if I'm campaigning, vote for me! Maybe I'll get the nomination... or is that "denomination"? :D

D

·
0 Posts
Sounds to me like they are making and example out of this guy, seeing the latest rash of Street Racing Fatalities. It may not be the best for him, but will it convince someone else not to do it?

·
Registered
560 Posts
With the way our justice system works, neither one of them will serve 10 yrs.
I understand what Scott is saying, but these guys definitely need some kind of punishment, vengeance or not, IMHO.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Let him go?? You guys are nuts. True prison might not rehabilitate him, but letting him go because he supposedly is "sorry" for killing someone is not a true punishment.

The idea of "Punishment" isn't ONLY to persuade someone to not intentionally do something THIS STUPID again, if that was true then you would have to let killers/murders go free because they said they were "sorry" & theoretically wouldn't do it again because the said they were sorry.

Like it or not some part of a punishment for KILLING PEOPLE......DEAD should include some amount of vengeance for the family of the people that were killed. Letting the asshole go free would be a kick in the balls to the surviving family, basicly telling them to "shut up & get over" their loss.

If you started letting all people go free that said they were "sorry" for hurting/killing someone, how many do you think would really feel sorry for what they had done?? After a while not many, it would become a joke how easy it was to get off scott free while the greving family is stuck with the pain of their loss.

·
Registered
2,426 Posts
I totally agree with this^^.
Maybe instead of a "correctional facility", they should consider it an "*** raping facility"...because that would be justice for the boy and his uncle.

I know what that kind of loss is like. My older brother was killed by a 21 year old kid who was driving wrecklessly. He never even said he was sorry...instead, he was all smiles and giggles in the courtroom and he kept giving our family those dirty, smirkish looks.

He did'nt do any time behind bars whatsoever, and he even skipped out of his community service without repercussion.

You dont think that makes me VERY FUCKING BITTER!?!?

Im sorry guys, forgive me...sometimes I lose it. :oops:

·
Registered
1,181 Posts
Definately wont do 10 years. Here in Missouri the average is 2 months time served for every year of sentence, so here he would serve 1 year and 8 months. And even then, its likely that he will get out even earlier than than on parole which is a joke in my opinion. I stopped a guy once that was on parole for murder! I was thinking, how do you even get parole for murder? Chris

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
D.I.L.L.I.G.A.S. said:
Let him go?? You guys are nuts. True prison might not rehabilitate him, but letting him go because he supposedly is "sorry" for killing someone is not a true punishment.

The idea of "Punishment" isn't ONLY to persuade someone to not intentionally do something THIS STUPID again, if that was true then you would have to let killers/murders go free because they said they were "sorry" & theoretically wouldn't do it again because the said they were sorry.

Like it or not some part of a punishment for KILLING PEOPLE......DEAD should include some amount of vengeance for the family of the people that were killed. Letting the asshole go free would be a kick in the balls to the surviving family, basicly telling them to "shut up & get over" their loss.

If you started letting all people go free that said they were "sorry" for hurting/killing someone, how many do you think would really feel sorry for what they had done?? After a while not many, it would become a joke how easy it was to get off scott free while the greving family is stuck with the pain of their loss.
Yep, I realize I'm messed up in the head. If a murder was in some situation where the killer was VERY likely to NEVER do it again, I'd be all for letting them go with nothing for a penalty. It seems a lot of people make babies on a whim, but can't take death nearly as easily. I see it as a loss is a loss, and it's only the person who's bothered by it who has the responsibility of getting over it. I can't really directly relate, but the closest I can is probably when my mom died when I was 9. So many people were saying stuff like, "I'm so sorry for your loss". It didn't help me feel better. I just fealt worse because if someone is feeling bad for no reason than my unhappiness, that's not good. So I deal with my loss while also being the cause for others to feel uneasy around me. It still just doesn't make sense to me. I've been angry before and it's natural human reaction to try to do something to alleviate the anger. Of course we look to the cause of our anger and since we're unhappy with them, we want to be violent or harmful. I just don't see how most people don't assess that and then react accordingly. Seems they just get pissed and stick to it like that's a reasonable thing to do. I've figured I'm probably an idiot for not understanding the lack of logic and thought process, but it seems I have more enjoyable days when I'm not upset with someone else and feeling sorry for myself. I often go out of my way to be helpful/kind to someone else, but not the other way around. I'll debate with others on topics and while I see it as nothing other than disagreement of opinion, it seems they often think it's an "argument". I don't know if people are predisposed to be unsatisfied with life or if their outlook causes them to be. I think it's the latter.

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
ScottJackson said:
Dumbass.

I wonder if you'd feel the same way if the guy had killed someone in your OWN family?

It's easy to be self righteous and "above" the system when you have absolutely no stake in the situation.

You are simply a utopian douche.

Greg

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
I have lots of junker project cars. I do have some 460s and there's a 460 short block sitting in my '69 mustang project right now.

I'm ok with being a utopian douche. I guess it could easily be worse. I think I would feel the same if someone killed someone of my own family. I know I make mistakes and sometimes do stupid things. I know of a lot of others who do also. I remember shooting at carp in shallow water near a flooded river with my friend in high school. I saw one and fired about 7 or 8 shots at it with my .22. Right afterwards I heard the last couple whizzing through the trees that run along the edge of the river. Then someone from that direction (that I didn't know was there) yelled "Hey!". I didn't think of the bullets bouncing off the water and I could have easily accidentaly killed someone. If my luck wouldn't have been as it was, I'd probably be in jail now for that. I'm a generally good person and I try to do what's right. I wouldn't want to be locked up in jail for a mistake that I made which I can't fix. I wouldn't want that for someone else either. I'm not trying to say absolutely everyone is good and tries their best to be good to others. There's some people that simply have no good place in our society, like Jeff Dahmer and Charlie Manson. Some people harm others in mild ways when they feel they've been wronged. While not model citizens, they probably won't cause any really heavy damage to others and so we let them stay in our society. I think this catagory is a big one (lots of folks in that category). Just because it's common practice to put someone in jail for revenge doesn't mean it's right or that it's the best thing to do.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts