460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I have included the word "cruising" or "cruise" site in some of my threads. I don't mean Street Racing nor do I condon or endorse this behavior.

Mike T. aka 511Fox

·
Registered
519 Posts
Street Race

Responsibly might be in order. Time, place, conditions, maximum speed and risk to others. Most on this site are sensible?
A pole here with the right circumstances may reveal some interesting results.

·
Registered
436 Posts
i have and will always street race but i dont go out like i used to i still have the car that i used for many years late 70s camaro 30x10.50s bbc that will run 9.20s on any street that people have put alot of rubber down. instead of going out 4 nights a week every week now i go out about 3 times a year usually just to see whos out.i only would do it on certain roads with no traffic . we started organizing and going out during the week and sunday mornings when no ones around. i have seen a few people get killed doing it but seen more crashes at the track

·
Registered
1,473 Posts
Damn I feel so much better now.....glad I will be able to get a good night sleep....D.......p.s. Gearhead I think I just spit half my Shiner Bock onto my girlfriends laptop

·
Registered
285 Posts
it seems to me that there is a lot of street racing going on guys that haul the car to a place then call it a street car they never go to the track because there cars would not pass tech and therefore not safe. times have changed you will lose your ride go to jail maybe prison if you kill some one then the widow will sue you in court and take everthing else you have left

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
30over429 said:
it seems to me that there is a lot of street racing going on guys that haul the car to a place then call it a street car
Trailered race cars showing up at the street races is nothing new. It was always fun to watch the mad dash as they tried to load their cars back on the trailer when the cops showed up.

It's surprising to me that a bunch more people around here didn't get hurt back in the "good old" street racing days. Cars crashing into the back of other cars during burnouts and I'm standing right there a few feet away (holy sh*t!). Cars racing on the highway access road getting crossed up & shooting to the left catapulting down onto the highway entrance ramp (ouch!). Cars loosing balancers and flywheels (yikes!). An Anglia not stopping in time and crashing/bouncing into a field (FIRE!). A chebby monza crashing because a slick hit the curb during the burn out (scuff that paint!). Yea....good times (LOL).

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is hard enough in the current Political climate of Governmental Materalism/Political Correctness/Rapid Environmentalism to get others to understand why Dragstrips are necessary/performance cars should be allowed. Street Racing by its very nature generates negative Publicity that performance cars don't need. :oops: :idea:

This Is My Take ON Things AGREE/DISAGREE THATS YOUR RIGHT :!: :!:

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I did it back in the day, I dont do it now. Something about being older and wiser I dunno. You want to go ahead, come blazin' down my street with my kid playin' in the front yard I dont care who you are youre gonna have some kinda big trouble you wish you never had.

·
Registered
436 Posts
where do you think performance cars came from to start with. it wasnt till those (ricers and fast and furios) idiots and those stupid movies came out that street racers got a bad rep. hell most people dont even know about real street racers and where real races take place. 511 fox you probably didnt know it but street racing is what started the muscle car craze in the 60s chrysler even used to test at night time on woodward ave in mi and it was ok then no negative publicity? thats what sold cars. we dont generate any negative publicity because we are not in the public eye like 16 year old rice racers with moms mini van racing in heavy traffic

·
Registered
436 Posts
30over429 said:
it seems to me that there is a lot of street racing going on guys that haul the car to a place then call it a street car they never go to the track because there cars would not pass tech and therefore not safe. times have changed you will lose your ride go to jail maybe prison if you kill some one then the widow will sue you in court and take everthing else you have left
these cars do go to the track on certain nights only and these street race cars are no beaters most all have passed nhra tech i have seen 100.000$ cars street racing i know of a jerry hass prostocker that is about 5 years old it makes a few street passes every year

·
Registered
842 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yes that is true as far as the beginnings but there is a big push by a mulitude of parties to push the street racers to the track. I agree with them. The streets aren't a controlled environment like the track and even there accidents happen its just they have help already there. :wink: :roll:

For your welfare and the welfare of others keep it on the track.
:idea:

PS. You can call me Mike. You may not agree with me and I with you, but I don't dislike you.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
showdown mustang said:
it wasnt till those (ricers and fast and furios) idiots and those stupid movies came out that street racers got a bad rep.
Come on now, you can't blame this one on the ricers, it's just not true. Street racing didn't recently get a bad rep just because of the ricers, It has ALWAYS had a bad rep because its illegal & can be dangerous to others. This was true in the 50's & the 60's and it's true today. There wasn't a butt load of boom-box ricers street racing in the late '70's when I first started going to the street races, but the cops hated you doing it just as much then as they do today.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I did it back it the day, but it was practically condoned by the cops in Detroit back then (late 80's). They were mixed in with traffic and as long as you didn't get crazy with it they were fine. Sure they pulled people over, but only the ones that were making things unsafe.

We raced four wide from stoplights on Telegraph Rd. all the time. Crowds would form along the side of the road in the strip mall parking lots. People would trailer in race gas rigs with full slicks and cruise the strip. Ahhhhh, those were the days.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
It happens around here but it's not like the typical "street racing" you read in the news.

More like a group of people on a backroad a good hour of driving from any town. 2:00-3:00 am where you would be lucky if you sat there for 3 hours and seen another car that wasn't in your group.

·
Registered
400 Posts
Fast & Furious influence

Well I just finished getting my nitrous setup complete this year and my province has now banned it. There was a large push to do something about street racing in Toronto so a large bill was passsed to give greater penalites to street racers. Sounds good until you look deeper.

How many are killed in street races as compared to normal poor driving and poorly maintained vehicles on the road? How much has been spent to pass a bill that was just a PR moment for some politicians? There is already numerous laws to deal with street racing, or for that matter reckless and poor driving, we need more police not more laws. Nitrous banning was pushed because of the "danger to rescue workers". Think about that, how many vehicles have propane tanks, gas cans, oxy sets, scuba tanks, lpg tanks and on and on, but they chose nitrous because it might be hidden in a seat (sound like a movie?). One last thing while I'm on my rant, ask about your insurance coverage and what your covered for with a modified vehicle. In Ontario only one carrier would cover you with nitrous, most won't cover you if you have any modifications. The insurance companies and the goverenment working quietly together.

Like anything in life, you can't make it fool proof for an idiot. Properly catch and punish the idiots and stop legislating the masses into living in glass bubbles for our protection (as long as we still pay our taxes :lol: )

John.

·
Registered
436 Posts
the cops were ok with it here they would run you off you would come back ten minutes later but when that movie came out it seems like every kid around here bought a honda or whatever and was racing everywhere thats when it was brought to our medias attentenion then the cops were forced to create new laws and actually enforce old ones . there used to be plenty of nights the cops would come down the street and we would have 200 people standing around and several cars on trailers cops would stop and talk for a few minutes and we could get them to do burnouts when they left these same cops are the ones that told us how the movie actually made some politicans aware and some kids caused alot of trouble

1 - 20 of 46 Posts