460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New guy here. A bit confused by all the options out there, so I'll post what I think I'm aiming for and try to gather some info from the experts...

'83 F100 shortbox rwd
'77 460 engine .030 over.
C6 trans

Currently, Crane HMV-272 cam, Edelbrock Performer intake, tri-Y headers, about 9:1. I want to repower and get driving it again. Want to run 91 octane or less (availability), preferably aluminum heads, Holley Sniper efi. Hopefully 500-700hp, but don't want a screamer (rpm), more a reliable street cruiser, with a very occasional 1/4 mile blast.

I've been eyeing the Edelbrock #2045 top end kit as something to bolt on and go at a reasonable price. I know these kits are often a compromise, but don't know of any other "kits", and don't want to buy a bunch of parts that will not cooperate. Also wondering about a stroker kit.... try and accomplish goals more through displacement than rpm.?

I'm in Canada, so the exchange rate makes the cost a challenge, but also fighting a bit of time deadline, so please nothing that's custom order months out.

I'm looking forward to hearing your ideas. Thanks.
BLES

·
Super Moderator
4,985 Posts
There are a few more things to know here before anybody can give you some practical advice.

1) What pistons went in during the rebuild and what CC is the dish?
2) Any idea how far down in the cylinder the pistons are?
3) How much was the block decked if at all?

Without knowing what the bottom end is other than a .030 over 1977 460 giving you any accurate build advice is almost impossible.

Also if it is a bone stock bottom end with stock rods and rod bolts that isn't going to put up with 700 HP for long.

Ultimately I'd say you need to shoot for about 10:1 compression (or more) for the horse power goals you have

A motor with 10:1, Performer RPM cam, Performer RPM intake, Ford Aluminium Cobra Jet Heads and about a 2800 RPM stall converter would do you nicely. BUT.. You really need 10:1 compression to make all that work the best that it can.

Answer the questions above we'll go from there.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply. I really appreciate the advice of you experts.
This was originally done about 1989 I think, and I don't remember much! As for the questions... I plan to replace most things except the block, crank, rods, and maybe the Performer(?) unless I go with a stroker kit. If I recall correctly, the block was NOT decked, just the heads milled a bit to get me the cr I wanted with the appropriate dished pistons. I forget what the dish was. I want a hydraulic cam, not solid lifter. I'm guessing I'll end up at the lower end of HP, but always open to more! :)

I'm hoping to keep it to around $7,000 USD. Does this seem reasonable?

BLES

1 - 3 of 3 Posts