460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Is there any special machine work required to stroke a 460? I've noticed there are several different kits available, which have been known to cause problems and which aren't? My goal is to build a big block for pure drag car and would like to run in the 6's 1/8th mile. I'm on about a $4000-$4500 budget. The only thing I currently have is a good std bore d1 block.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Is there any special machine work required to stroke a 460? I've noticed there are several different kits available, which have been known to cause problems and which aren't? My goal is to build a big block for pure drag car and would like to run in the 6's 1/8th mile. I'm on about a $4000-$4500 budget. The only thing I currently have is a good std bore d1 block.
With a d1 block, you can put a bigger stroke crank in it with no machine work. The d9 block has longer sleeves so those blocks need notching for clearance. I havent had tons a experience with all the different brands. Some have a higher quality of machine work.

If you are starting with a bare block and only have $4500 max, you might run into a issue depending on how light and setup the vehicle is that its going into.

If it was me, id hold off on the stroker kit and focus on good combo of heads, cam, intake, pistons ect... and run nitrous. I know you can build a 450hp engine for $4500.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I was looking at a set of used trickflows locally for $1500. I only am thinking about doing a stroker because I need a rotating assembly anyway and the cost isn't much higher than staying with forged 460 stuff. I thought of running nitrous and still haven't ruled it out as a possibility. The car that the engine will be going in weighs roughly 2800 with me in it

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
4.500 stroke will fit with no clearance work on all but a D9TE block. In a D9TE a 4.300 stroke clears with no grinding work and a 4.500 would also be very easy with a steel rod. Cam is absolutely not in the way or the pan rail.

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
All of the steel rodded, cookie-cutter offshore stroker kits will fit all 429/460 blocks-including the D9TE-AB block--without any clearancing whatsoever.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
For a race-only car, I don't think you even need a big cube engine to manage the times you are shooting for, however it certainly won't hurt. A 500-inch (4.14" stroke) engine will be plenty. That said, the 521 (4.30" stroke) engine is my fave and a good all around combo for a multitude of reasons (hp, tq, block fitment, general maintenance level, etc).

Paul

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So if I stayed 460 ci. Which rods and pistons would you recommend? If rpm's are kept under 6k could a hyper. Flat top Piston be used? Also I am leaning toward running alcohol.

·
Registered
914 Posts
Don't know about stock pistons or hypers but I know if you have the "FOOTBALL " rods are very strong and comparable to the "cobra jet" rods. Stock crank is very strong as well and can take some abuse.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
So if I stayed 460 ci. Which rods and pistons would you recommend? If rpm's are kept under 6k could a hyper. Flat top Piston be used? Also I am leaning toward running alcohol.
H-beam rods and forged pistons on an OEM cast 460 crankshaft will sustain way more horsepower than you will ever need for your program as described, and can last at least as long (if not longer) than the "base" offshore stroker kits.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
What stroker setups do you know of that don't fit?
It's not even a matter of whether the rotating assembly incorporates a stroker crank or not.

The only crankshaft of which I am aware that is not a "drop-in" deal with the D9TE-AB block is 1968-1978 internal balance (2Y, 2YA, 2YAB, 2YABC, 4U, 4UA, and 4UAB) OEM crankshafts. In order to fit one of the internal balance cranks into a D9TE block, some main web clearancing needs to be exectuted to accomodate the internal balance crank's larger crankshaft counterweights.

For more info on block differences, click HERE.

Paul

·
Premium Member
5,612 Posts
Does anyone make an affordable piston in the 12:1-13:1 compression range?
With some know-how, 12:1 can be attained in a 460 with flat top pistons, and it's downright easy to attained 12:1 or 13:1 with stroker engines and flat tops.

Paul

·
Registered
99 Posts
It's not even a matter of whether the rotating assembly incorporates a stroker crank or not.

The only crankshaft of which I am aware that is not a "drop-in" deal with the D9TE-AB block is 1968-1978 internal balance (2Y, 2YA, 2YAB, 2YABC, 4U, 4UA, and 4UAB) OEM crankshafts. In order to fit one of the internal balance cranks into a D9TE block, some main web clearancing needs to be exectuted to accomodate the internal balance crank's larger crankshaft counterweights.

For more info on block differences, click HERE.

Paul
Ive read your web page numerous times. I followed the directions on a few oiling mods.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
So what does it mean when you "offset grind" a crank to bb chevy? Does this mean the stock crank is resized so that you can use chevy rods? Does this also mean that you use chevy pistons?

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
The Ford has a 2.500 rod journal stock and the big Chevy has a 2.200 journal. If the Ford crank is ground .300 undersize to match the Chevrolet journal diameter it's centerline can be offset to increase the stroke. This technique can be used to take the stroke from the stock 3.85 stroke of the 460 to about 4.140 which will give you 499cid with a .030 overbore.

Doing this has been around for probably about 100 years and it was very common to do back when Flathead Ford V8's were popular for performance use. The later style cranks came with a rod that was about .100 larger than the older cranks. The newer style crank could be ground to the older 2 inch rod throw diameter while offsetting to create a 1/8 inch "stroker". Thus your 50 Merc crank would go from 4 inch to 4.125 stroke. This coupled with a 1/8 overbore gave the popular Flat head combo of 1/8 X 1/8.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
So when the crank is ground down to 2.200 does this allow you to use a stock 454 chevy rod? Or is there a special rod that must be used?

·
Registered
520 Posts
Most of the the 521 kits I've seen are meant to be externally balanced, which can be an extra cost if you want to go with an internal balance.
That is with a cast crank and dish pistons.

·
Registered
5,321 Posts
So when the crank is ground down to 2.200 does this allow you to use a stock 454 chevy rod? Or is there a special rod that must be used?
The stock Chevy rods are too short so what's used is an aftermarket rod that uses the Chevy pin diameters. Usually a 6.635(.500 long), 6.700 or 6.800 length is used. It really doesn't make any significant difference and it just depends on what pin height pistons are available. There are a few companies that have "off the shelf" ready made pistons for such a combination. KB does as one example.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts