460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fellas -

Tired of buying rearend gaskets every time I have to change the gear oil in my diff. Also would like to use it to change fluid in trannies that don't have a drain plug. Have tried to use my brake bleeder, but that takes forever. Anyone have/use something they can recommend?

Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
I always just use silicon on diff covers.

You can get a "transfer pump" that looks like a grease gun without the handle on it. They just have a hose on the end and you pull the T handle to suck out the fluid.

Bill

·
Registered
476 Posts
Any time I have a pan off of a transmission, it gets a drain plug. It takes about 15 minutes and saves a big mess next time. I've even put them in the F150's with the IFS so I can drain them quickly if they get water in them. If you can't put a drain in, do what Bill said.

·
Registered
359 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Any time I have a pan off of a transmission, it gets a drain plug. It takes about 15 minutes and saves a big mess next time. I've even put them in the F150's with the IFS so I can drain them quickly if they get water in them. If you can't put a drain in, do what Bill said.
I should have mentioned that I'm dealing with mostly manual trannies here. Of the 8 musclecars I have, all but two have three pedals. The three pedal cars are original type musclecars, so probably won't drill any holes in these. Good idea for my auto cars, however (67 Fairlane 514/C4, 68 Roadrunner hemi/727).

Thanks,

Scott

1 - 5 of 5 Posts