460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone else noticed how expensive Summit's (cough) "handling fee" has become over time? It's funny how they point out that they have "free shipping", and then at the same time charge a chunk for "handling fees".

I ordered 20 self ejecting Dzus buttons the other day, (two small bags of 10 each), and while they didn't charge for "shipping" they did charge a $9.50 "handling fee".

Am I right or wrong in thinking that almost $10 bucks is an excessive amount to charge for putting two small packages into a small box?? Any opinions?

·
Registered
169 Posts
Getting Handled?

Jegs tacks on the same type of Fee , You have to consolidate orders more these days or buy it Uptown and take it home the same day. SAME DAY AIR, I'm sure it coming!!!

·
Registered
941 Posts
They all add it. Well, at least most of the companies that advertise free shipping. I've seen the cost vary, but lately it seems to be $6-10.

One way to save a little more from Summit. If you have an NHRA or IHRA license you need to contact them about their "Pro-Shop" You send a copy of license and a pic of your car. They give you a special ph # and customer # and you get discounts. I placed an order last week for some small parts, dist gear, MSD rotor, gaskets etc. The Pro-Shop saved me about $25 on a $130 order. It's not a set percentage, there is a different discount on each item. I still had to pay the $9.50 "handling charge though.

David Cole

·
Registered
185 Posts
The $9.50 handling charge never bothers me, as being in central PA their free shipping gets to me the very next day. I can place an order at 4 o'clock in the afternoon and I have my parts by 2:00 the next day!

·
Registered
9 Posts
well i am lucky summit just opened a new warehouse close to me so i can take a saturday drive and get my parts and have them now.. still about 100 mile drive though

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Ordering a small item, and the handling fee is more than the item, is a pain, but on the other end, I ordered 1257.00 on one order this year and paid one handling fee for 4 boxes of merchandise and no sales tax.
The tax alone would have been over 75.00

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Don't forget

Don't forget how they can punish BBF owners. Eagle SIR rods @ 369 from Summit and 275 from my local backwoods machinist. My last 460 rebuild ( I ordered every possible internal part from The Shop) seemed a little steep, so I got out the Summit catalog and he still kicked their butts by over a hundred bucks. JMHO.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
More Dzus buttons.

I ordered 22 more Dzus buttons, but got them from A.R.T. this time because Summit didn't have them in .400" long.

A.R.T only charged $9.12 for the shipping ......and no handling fee. Summit can try to look like your buddy & claim the "no shipping charges" spin-doctor thing all the want, but charging a handling fee instead sure looks like the same thing.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
I have been ordering from Jegs lately cuz of their 2 day shipping. Like others I wait until I need to order a few things instead of just ordering one piece but when u need a $6 item it sure sucks. I once ordered $200.00 worth of fittings from Earls to cut my cost/item down some ( it wasn't supposed to get that high but it did..LOL).

·
Registered
928 Posts
You just have to look at what your buying from them, and buying little stuff will cost you more with the "handling charge" I mean if your buying say an aircleaner and they want $35 for it but you can get it at your local dealer for $42 guess which one is hte better deal. The handling charge is not so bad when ordering a bunch of stuff like all the bearings, rings, gaskets etc to do a rebuild but for single items it will kill ya.
And on another note expecially with our BBF stuff look to the guys on this board expecially with high dollar parts, I got my heads from Lem and even paying the actual shipping from him it was still saving my almost $100. sometimes it just plain worth the phone call to guys like Lem or Brian and see where they are at and IMHO I would rather pay the same amount or even a little more (now Lem this doesn't mean a lot ) and have the money go to someone that is actually helpful, and has great customer service and trying to make a living than to some facelss huge corperation that has an overpaid CEO that probably doesn't know a distributor from a set of thigh high pumps.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
monsterbaby said:
You just have to look at what your buying from them, and buying little stuff will cost you more with the "handling charge" I mean if your buying say an aircleaner and they want $35 for it but you can get it at your local dealer for $42 guess which one is hte better deal. The handling charge is not so bad when ordering a bunch of stuff like all the bearings, rings, gaskets etc to do a rebuild but for single items it will kill ya.
Quoted for Truth!!

I'm a warehouse manager for an independent pharmacy chain. Some companies charge a flat rate for shipping.. You save up until you have a big order, then order. Obviously you needed the clips quickly so, that's the price you pay. I usually manage to get a friend or two to tag along and we can split the handling, if I REALLY need something.

·
Registered
360 Posts
That's part of the reason I buy everything from Lane Automotive, no "handling fees" just the UPS charge, they're prices are right inline with Summit and Jegs too. As a bonus the shipping time to me is only one day.

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
67stang1 said:
That's part of the reason I buy everything from Lane Automotive, no "handling fees" just the UPS charge, they're prices are right inline with Summit and Jegs too. As a bonus the shipping time to me is only one day.
UPS fees to me from them would be atrocious. :?

1 - 15 of 15 Posts