460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone, im younger than most and just recently bought a 1985 f250 extended long bed service bed. 4x4 with the c6 and 460! I want to delete all the garbage smog stuff. And got to thinking about heads intakes and carbs. Ive never owned a carbureted car or truck before. My question is are there stock parts that are better than what i have, that i can find for cheap? Like heads from a different year that will give a little more power and economy. And what carb to run and what intake to run.
I bought it for camping i have a pop up camper for the back, so camping and slight off-roading

any information will be greatly appreciated

·
Registered
15 Posts
I believe the biggest bang for the buck would be a timing chain and gear set from 1988 or later. That would get you a double row roller and the cam timing back to zero instead of retarded. Then add headers and a large single exhaust. Those 2 items will make that ol 460 a nice grunt engine. If operating correctly, the smog pump and EGR don't cost you any HP. Leave them alone. A recurve on the distributor may help some. Maybe Scotty will address that.

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Richard! I want to replace the carb for a more simple one without the Choke heater and all that extra vacuum lines and things to cuase headaches on the road. And what does recurve the distributor mean?

·
Registered
285 Posts
Richard gave great advice everything he stated would be my first steps,if you still wanted more and are on a low budget a good intake would be the 429SCJ/460 marine/industrial intake while the intakes with date codes correct for an SCJ can be kind of spendy the vast majority are well out of the window datewise and were for marine and industrial 460's not to be confused with the truck 429 and 370's the 460's were used for a lot of boat motors and to a lesser extent standby generators.These intakes will be seen regularly for sale sometimes for pretty reasonable,they are identified by there D0OE casting number and Holley bolt pattern,they were used clear up into the early 90's before being revised with a new casting number in the mid 90's I think the new number is RF5JE but it is functionally the same,while there is a big port mismatch they are still supposed to be good for at least 30 or so horses over the stock intake.If your still looking for more then the heads would be next up,the early C8,C9,and D0VE castings will give a compression bump and other advantages,but they're getting harder to find and they're old enough now that they will probably need complete rebuild so they're not such a budget thing anymore.

·
Registered
1975 Ford F100
1 Posts
Hey everyone, im younger than most and just recently bought a 1985 f250 extended long bed service bed. 4x4 with the c6 and 460! I want to delete all the garbage smog stuff. And got to thinking about heads intakes and carbs. Ive never owned a carbureted car or truck before. My question is are there stock parts that are better than what i have, that i can find for cheap? Like heads from a different year that will give a little more power and economy. And what carb to run and what intake to run.
I bought it for camping i have a pop up camper for the back, so camping and slight off-roading

any information will be greatly appreciated
How are your smog laws? If there like Commyfornia, you'll just have to put em back on for instpection

1 - 6 of 6 Posts