460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been home for a week now and can eat sitting down, so I guess I can say that I survived Hot Rod Drag Week 2016, Wanted to do it for a long time now and things finally came together.Had a very good time, Met great staff from Hot Rod magazine, friendly, knowledgeable track staff. Met great racers, spectators and one a$$hole. I competed in a completely stock 170k mile 03 Mercury Marauder that had no problems and averaged 15.53 for the 5 days For the record -Being a first timer at my age in this type of event and doing it solo puts it up there with one of the STUPIDEST things I have ever done.Also one of the hardest.Before I left, I thought, how hard can it be to drive 1300 miles to Hebron OH, race for a day, drive to the next track, do it again and again and again, then drive 1300 miles home. Hot Rod Drag Week is a young mans game.Oldest son Jim was trunk monkey for grandson Daniels' 68 Torino that had problems all week and managed to average 14.50 for the 5 days.Son Beep drove our 86 T-Bird in SSBBNA to a 10.62 average for the 5 days.Beep drove the car I started several years ago and was stalled for health reasons.He and Jim finished the car for me.I think it did very well when the object was just to finish for first timers.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Whoo hoo! We watched the live feed all week.

All 3 times I have been I went solo. It is tough, but it is so much fun!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would I do it again?--Answer during first week home--HELL NO.
Answer during second week home---wellll.
Now--work has started again on my dually and son Jim is putting together his 57 Chevy and he is going to go.It will depend on where next years tracks are located and whether an 80 year old can make the trip. I will ask for vacation time in Jan. just in case.
I hope you get to go soon,lot of hard work,but it is worth it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts