460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to this. Would an AOD off of an 88 5L t-bird be able to mount to a 460 from an 86 e350? Could it handle it? Is it an easy swap? Thanks

·
Registered
222 Posts
No, not without a lot of upgrades, it requires a bellhousing adapter and to hold any amount of power the two piece input shaft needs to be changed for a one piece and then you lose a lockup converter.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks. I knew it would need a bell housing adapter, but wasn't sure if the rest would fit to offer that extra OD gear. The 460 screams at 60mph!

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
137 Posts
You're better off with an E4OD.. rob one out of a 2wd big block truck from the pic-n-pull for a core or have it built by someone if you can, then get a controller for it. I've been looking over the best way to get an automatic overdrive for a while, and that's about the least costly way I can figger out how to do it...

·
Registered
73 Posts
You could stay with a C6 and add an overdrive to the tail shaft but that’s not a cheap option either.
...I'll 2nd that. And converter slip would get worse with the added load at lower rpms.

You can swap the E4OD gearset into the C6... makes it a "wide-ratio" C6 with 2.72 first and 1.7 second gear... funner to drive for sure, but still sliping torque converter.

There's another option that someone in the forum was working on... the late model V6 truck tranny (6 spd ?). The aftermarket bell and controller pushed the price up to around $3k as I recall, using a pick a part donor trans.

·
Registered
73 Posts
...6R80 from F150 w/ 3.5L ecoboost...

·
Registered
35 Posts
That kit has a fitment issues. I have seen multiple people be rather dissatisfied with it. I ended up buying the speed gems kit and it uses the v8 6r80 instead of the v6. I havnt installed it yet but it is machined very nice and has a lot better reviews. However it is more expensive. I have about $3600 in the whole setup with a junkyard trans. I found a 6k mile 5.0 trans from a 2014 f150 for 900. That price also includes the trans controller as well.

·
Registered
1990 Ford Mustang LX 351M powered!! Project Cherry Bomb!!
137 Posts
I'm interested in the E40D gearset swap into a C6.... How hard is that to do? And does it still give you the overdrive 4th gear or just the lower 1st and 2nd?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts