460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok.... im running into some reliability issue w/ my fms 460 fox mounts. they swear that they should hold fine, but i keep snapping them like toothpicks. does anybody produce any good solid motor mounts for the fox chassis. i cant find them and i don't feel comfortable making them :(

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
I have the jig built but haven't had time to start building them yet. You have a P.M.

A torque strap or link from the block or head to the left framerail should eliminate your breakage probs until you get a better set of mounts installed. I recommend a torque link no matter what side mounds you run anyway.

Here's a pic of a set I built for an SN95 Mustang here in Austin.

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
BobM,The motor mounts you made look like some nice

pieces.I agree on the torque strap i have one on my car and the motor mounts seem to hold up good with it.I have mine bolted to front of passenger side head and run down to the old sway bar mount.I drilled a hole in the front side of the sway bar mount.It works out pretty good only needed a couple washers for where it bolts to the head and it's pretty much a straight shot to the sway bar mount from there.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
259 Posts
Mark, I'm having a serious brain fart here ,should'nt the limiting strap or link be attached between the DRIVERS side block or head and sway bar mount? Or am I going to have to remount mine? My car is'nt here to go look at.

·
Registered
2,227 Posts
Typically the drivers side (USA) mount is torn by torque lifting that side of the motor. As torque is in the opposite direction to crank rotation (Newton's law of equal and opposite reaction) the restraint needs to be on the lift, drivers, side.

·
Registered
313 Posts
Chuck Stevens said:
Typically the drivers side (USA) mount is torn by torque lifting that side of the motor. As torque is in the opposite direction to crank rotation (Newton's law of equal and opposite reaction) the restraint needs to be on the lift, drivers, side.
I guess I should be making more power then :D

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I screwed up guys mine is bolted to the drivers side head

not the passenger side head.I must have had a brain fart when i was typing that last night.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Here's my hi tech torque strap made of unobtainium alloy.

I installed it at the bash after my air cleaner wingnut jumped up and dimpled my hood. :evil:

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
LOL..

:lol: :lol: I bought a 5.0 dual snorkel air cleaner from s_stang. I figure if it's gonna run like a 5.0, it should look like a 5.0. It's too big to fit under my stock hood :evil: so I'm going to install a factory scoop like I have on my '82. I hope some fresh air will help it run. I'm also going to buy some of those roller rockers from Randy, and I might buy a real cam (solid) to go with them. :twisted: :lol: :lol: But you should hear all the comments about my 390 HP. :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

1 - 12 of 12 Posts