460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im installing a 460 into a 76 F250 which had a 360 FE. I know that I need a new belhousing 351m, 400m, 460 but after that not sure what else to expect. My main concern is getting the engine bolted to the 4 speed tranny with the correct parts the 1st time. Exhaust, pulley brackets and engine mounts seem to be the easy part but any info on this would be great.
Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
166 Posts
9secfairlane said:
Im installing a 460 into a 76 F250 which had a 360 FE. I know that I need a new belhousing 351m, 400m, 460 but after that not sure what else to expect. My main concern is getting the engine bolted to the 4 speed tranny with the correct parts the 1st time. Exhaust, pulley brackets and engine mounts seem to be the easy part but any info on this would be great.
Thanks, Mike
you should just be able to get the correct motormounts and possible engine stands, and bellhousing/flywheel and be well on the way to running. I would hunt trucks in your area with a factory 429/460 and note the exact differances.

·
Registered
575 Posts
You need a rear sump oil pan with oil pump pickup in rear. You might have a problem with alt,power steering brackets. Motor mounts are always a problem. Look on ebay and there is usually some of the stuff there.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Why a rear sump? All 1973-1979 trucks used a front sump pan. A rear sump will fit, but the drag link is in the way, and you might have to chop the pan up.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the help all. I did find a 400m bellhousing to bolt to the tranny now Im making engine mounts and building the exhaust. I did need a rear sump oil pan. Hopefully it will be running some time this week
Thanks Mike

1 - 7 of 7 Posts