460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
307 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought Royal purple synthetic oil and put it in my engine.I used for one day,and made 4 passes with it.

My motor is a basic 466 all stock cast iron engine basically.it's 13 year's old and run's fine.

My question is this.Since i alway's change my oil after a day at the track,which i usually only make 4-5 passes and change my oil.Can i go back to using non synthetic 20W-50 oil?I was thinking going back to valvoline racing 20W-50,but i used synthetic one day 4 passes.Is it ok to go back to regular oil?

Please everyone chime in,I would like to here your feedback.

Regard's Dan.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
No reason you can't go back. And there's no reason to change it every time you go to the track, unless you only go once every three months.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Dan,
We generally breakin our engines on the dyno with Rotella or Valvoline 20w50, but we run 11 lite Royal Purple on the track. With what you are running and doing you should be able to run 20-25 runs before changing. Synthetic oil is too expensive to change out that often. If you want to switch back there is nothing wront with it... You will be perfectly fine. Just swap it out! If you need anything drop me a PM!

·
Registered
31 Posts
If you change out your oil that much, you should invest in a oil filtering system, even if you only do minimal passes. If your engine never over-heats, and doesn't get massive amount of dirt in anywhere, you can keep reusing your oil. One thing about the synthetic vs blends, I had seen a noticable acceleration improvement on my sister's oval track SBC from the synthetic-blend to full-snythetic transition.

I would stick with full-synthetics simply because it relieves friction more than the regular blends. If you have had only good things with the synthetic-blend and weren't satisfied with the full-synthetic performance, stick with the blend!

Have you tried lower viscosity oil at the track to see any differences?

1 - 5 of 5 Posts