460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have a 557ci BBF and it is 15:1 compression and strictly for the track. What is the best and most preferred synthetic oil? and what weight is correct for this app?
Thank you

·
Registered
941 Posts
Just pick your poison. Most name brands of synthetic oil will work well. If you happen to run methanol for fuel, Royal Purple and Valvoline race synthetic work better than most.

I run methanol and was a Royal Purple XRP user for years, but they have priced themselves out of my market. I have switched to Brad Penn "The Green Stuff".

As far as oil weight, that depends on your bearing clearances. I like 10W30 with my rod clearances around .0027-8 and mains at .0031-34. With a Kasse pump it will hold 80 lbs at cold idle, 55-60 hot idle and 79-80 hot on a pass.

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
One of the better oils that I have several customers using is Royal Purple's XPR 5w30. There are several good companies for the application you are looking at using it in. One thing most people like about Royal Purple is that many of the auto parts places are carrying it now, or can have it in a day. I know O'Reilly's has it!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
I am unsure about the clearances on the mains/rods but 20/50W sounded heavy? The previous owner used 20/50W, i would imagine i could make better power with a lighter oil? 5/30W is ok and safe? You guys know better than me! looks like royal purple XPR 5W30
I appreciate any and all help, thank you

·
Registered
17 Posts
Do you have an actual oil pressure gauge with readouts? If so you just need to make sure it is carrying enough pressure. If not you would just need to switch to a 10w30... Most of the time you can't go wrong with 10w30... ;)

·
Premium Member
808 Posts
Of course the ambiant temp plays a role in how hot your engine runs, but at full operating temp at at idle you should still have 40ish... 70 is a little high, but not knowing the clearences and so on, I would just say that a 10w30 is the safest route, but that 5w30 is not a bad option... just watch the pressure.... I think you will be fine either way!

·
Registered
25 Posts
There's lots to be learned over at www.bobistheoilguy.com
Reading up there can tell you all about weights vs flow, along with bearing-wear tests of most synthetic oils. Personally I prefer Schaeffer's oil, It surpassed most others available in my area in wear tests. Nearly every "full synthetic" oil you're going to find on store shelves is just overpriced hydro-cracked group III base oil, which in other countries isn't even allowed to be labeled as "synthetic", or would be stuck with a lame "made with synthetic technology" label.

Will any modern multi-viscosity (xW-xx) oil protect your engine? Yes
What offers the best protection when it comes to heat, shear, and resistance to acids (a property calculated as TBN or total base number)? That would be a true synthetic oil with group IV or V ester or paraffin base stocks.

Good luck!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts