·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Didn't come up with much on a search there except two possible sources for some parts for the swap, of course Mustang and Cobra specific. I would be putting the T56 in a '68 Galaxie.

Issues I need to figure out (off the top of my mind):
bellhousing
spacer/new input shaft?
speedometer drive?
throwout bearing/clutch actuation setup

Just need to know if this is all possible to work out. my big concern right now, since I'm pretty sure someone makes a bellhousing or a toploader bellhousing can be adapted, is the speedometer drive. Is this T56 ('06 SRT10) an electronic pickup for the speedometer? If so can it be converted to a regular gear driven mechanical speedometer drive? The way I see it is if I can't have my factgory speedometer and odometer working properly there's no point in buying this trans, however affordable and convenient it may be. These are all things I need to know in the next 13 and a half hours before the auction ends.

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
IMO I would look at something in the TKO 600 line over the T56 Trans.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Why is that? Stronger? More 'old car friendly'? Cheaper? What are the differences between the T56 and TKO 500/600?

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
TKO 600 is the newer design, bolts to the same bell as the T56 / Old style top loader. IMO more street friendly, will take the power of the big block a little more readily. AND if you have the TKO faceplated and upgraded a little more. They say they will handle more power. I have a friend going low 10's high 9's in his small block nitrous car with the Faceplated TKO 600. Its a little hard to downshift driving it around on the street I think but worth it when you look at the abuse it will take.

I think the T56 would be a good trans to. Especially if the price was right. Just offering suggestions.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I like the idea of a .5:1 overdrive of the T56. The location is great (no need to pay for shipping), and of course the price seems pretty good so far. If the T56 auction doesn't pan out then perhaps a TKO 600 would be another option.

This car is my daily driver so long as there's no snow on the ground, so I'd really like overdrive. I wanted to do gears so I got a 9 inch that I'm in the process of putting in. I was just gonna set up one center section with a set of 2.50:1 gears I have for the lots of highway miles I put on the car and another with 4.11:1 and a spool to throw in now and again for fun.

A T56 with it's tall overdrive would let me run pretty much whatever gear I want and still keep a great highway RPM. Cost is a huge factor for me though so if I can find a TKO 600 for less than a T56 that's probably the way I'll go.

·
Registered
252 Posts
I love my T56. Except for the reverse lockout solenoid.
I used a lakewood bellhousing with a McLeod adapter plate and clutch gear.

·
Registered
104 Posts
If you use a TKO600 with a shortened input shaft you do not need to use any adapters between the bell and the trans. Mike Fortes can help you with all your questions.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Reverse lockout solenoid

The reverse lockout solenoid can be removed, or replaced with a custom ball/plunger plug to offer some resistance when going into R. Or, you can simply wire it to the brake pedal switch. No big deal.

However, even without it I really don't see you accidentally shifting into reverse...it's at the end of the pattern; you'd have to screw up big to do that. You won't likely be powershifting 5th...and if you meant 3rd and hit R, you have issues that any transmission can't fix.

Strength of the T56 vs TKO600 is equivalent; there are Vipers in the 8's on T56 boxes. Shifting feel of the T56 is far superior if you intend to do any road-race style driving...it is a very smooth shifting transmission. And, like any manual trans...yes, you can break it if you try hard enough.

·
Registered
20 Posts
T56

Cory, go to Mcleod's website as they have a new modular bellhousing that makes this swap pretty simple. I'll be using it for my cyclone along with their hydraulic throwout bearing setup. This should help you ballpark the approximate cost. Don't forget possible tranny tunnel work, a crossmember may have to be fabricated, and shortening your driveshaft or going parts scrounging to find one that's close. This'll be the third car I've done either a T5 or a T56 tranny swap on and hopefully I've got it done to a science...sort of.:)

·
Registered
207 Posts
T56

I don't know if this is what you came up with on the search but it's worth looking at:
http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2005/03/T56Swap/index.php

I have $3,500 in these parts:
McCleod 64305-00-07 Fly Assm
McCleod 8746-03 Bellhousing Kit
McCleod 14005-30 Hyd T.O. w/Slave Cyl
McCleod 1439 Spacer for T.O.
Tremec TKO-600 # TCET-4617
You can save a bunch of $$$ not going w/hyd throw out bearing or buying the trans used. The TKO-600's can be found every once in a while on the Corral classifieds. Lee

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Resurrecting this thread as if all goes well I will be picking up a T56 from an '02 Camaro either today or tomorrow, depending on when the guy calls me. It's fairly local and the price is right so I'm gonna bite the bullet and get the trans, and maybe in two weeks or so I can get moving on doing the swap. Is the general concensus still that McLeod is the best option for fit and finish?

I do have a Ford 460 toploader/NP435 manual trans bellhousing as I was gonna do a toplaoder due to cost of T56. Can that bellhousing be made to work with the T56? Just want to know all my options

I tried calling McLeod but of course they have no one available for us normal guys to talk to on the weekends. It's hard to find time to take care of all this car stuff and phone calls 9-5 Mon-Fri because I'm working and it's hard to find downtime long enoguh to make these types of calls. Anyhow, I guess I'll have to call on Monday.

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
Bellhousing

The adapter plate like the one on mine adapts to a lakewood bellhousing which has the standard transmission pattern. All of the fasteners that go into the transmission side of the interface are flat-head screws, leaving a flush surface. I see no reason why you couldn't install the exact same adapter onto your bellhousing and save the cost of the lakewood. If McLeod doesn't offer the plate anymore, try Forte parts connection.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Is this the adaptor plate I need?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MCL-8705-12&autoview=sku

$347 for a stinkin 1/2" piece of metal with 4 holes drilled in it? Am I missing something or is that ludicrous?

Do I need to be concerned with input shaft length with this '02 Camaro transmission? I don't have the trans yet but when I get it I will compare it to my NP435 and see how it measures up.

What should I run for a clutch, pressure palte and flywheel? This is a budget operation and I don't think my motor makes more than 400HP or so. Probably won't go higher than 500-ish with this engine for the next couple years.

Not the fastest thing around so I want a manual trans so it's more fun... And the extra MPG won't hurt either!

Maybe that trans adaptor is this one labeled as a spacer?

http://store.summitracing.com/partdetail.asp?part=MCL-8607&autoview=sku

$236 That still sounds like a lot but you're getting hardware and such and a part that looks more like it would adapt one pattern to another. Is that the one even though the other is labeled at a T56 adaptor? The first one I mentioned looks like it would just space a regular trans back a little farther.

How abotu clutch actuation? I know they now make hydraulic throwout bearings for toploaders. Not sure that would work with this setup though. How about a Camaro hydraulic throwout bearing? How does it attach to the transmission? Does it just chill in there somehow or is it bolted down (I forget but I think my ZF5 throwout bearing is bolted to the trans). If so I could probably drill and tap whatever adaptor I use to accept the throwout bearing.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=BCA&MfrPartNumber=614174&PartType=239&PTSet=A

I was thinking I could use the Camaro master cylinder too, since it appears to be a push style.

http://www.partsamerica.com/productdetail.aspx?MfrCode=RAY&MfrPartNumber=CMA350014&PartType=234&PTSet=A

As long as the throwout bearing will work with whatever adaptors I have to use then I think it should be fine... Well as long as there isn't too much throw if spaced out 1/2 from the trans body. If that's the case I could probably space the master cylinde rout from the firewall some amount to limit travel at the throwout bearing. I'm sure there is a simple solution to that problem.

How abotu shifter location? When all is said and done where does the shifter come out in relation to a factory setup with toploader? Anyone have a '65-'68 Gal with a factory 4 speed? If so can you measure where the shifter comes out of the floor, pictures too maybe? Also, how far back does the shifter sit in neutral from the rear of the engine crossmemeber?

I guess shfiter location isn't terrible since I have no center console, bench seat, and no holes in the floor now. So I can try to work it how I need to. I'd like a factory style bench seat shifter to clear the bench and for looks. I'll figure something out I guess.

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Okay, definitely not running a McLeod throwout bearing as they are $376 and up. Didn't even bother figuring out which one I need as that is ludicrous. I'll definitely make something off the shelf work. Anyone done is with off the sheft parts? Maybe I'll start looking at PatFromJersey's thread from a while back. He got interesting with an external setup he fabbed up for a reasonable cost. I think he was running a toplaoder though, but maybe I can get some ideas from him.

·
Registered
87 Posts
cadunkle: How is the swap going?

random question: I am looking at this swap for my 90 F250. The stock auto is getting very weak and it is time to do something. I want to get a T56 in it, but I was looking at the gear ratios and what I found scarred me. The stock 1st gear in my E4OD is almost identical to the T56 1st gear, so I'm thinking no big deal, but then I notice that the ZF5 (which would have been the stock manual gear box for my truck) has a 5.7 1st gear vs. a T56 2.66 or 2.97!? Since I do use the truck for pulling from time to time, would putting a T56 in be a bad decision?

Thanks for any info.

Eric

·
Registered
823 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I haven't got a transmission yet unfortnately. I have the clutch pedals and a stock bellhousing and spacer plate froma truck. I ended up getting a '66 convertible so that's where most of my free time now is, since hte '68 does ru and drive pleasantly with the 460 and C6.

Anyhow, I wouldn't go T56 in a big block powered truck, especially if you ever put anything heavy in the bed. I don't think the T56 is as weak as most say, but I know the ZF5 is stronger. I have a ZF5 in my small block F-250 and it's a tough transmission. I beat the snot out of that thing. On the occasions that I do tow it is nice to have that granny gear. Even when hauling 1500+ lbs in the bed on a scrap metal run it's nice to have the granny gear, namely for starting on hills. Just saves you from dragging the clutch a lot. The ZF5 really is a nice transmission. Doesn't care for being powershifted or even shifted too quickly, but if you put a T56 in that truck I wouldn't be driving it like a racecar if you want it to live.

The ZF5 is an excellent truck transmission. My truck has 4.10:1 gears and I couldn't imagine driving it on the highway with the C6 that came in it when I got it. ZF5 still revs high on the highway but takes the edge off. No need for a .5:1 overdrive in most any truck.

·
Registered
87 Posts
cadunkle said:
but if you put a T56 in that truck I wouldn't be driving it like a racecar if you want it to live.
But that's half the point isn't it?

Hmmm? So the T56 wont last long with gear bangin' activities in a heavy truck and the ZF5 simply won't like "the bangin' of the gears"? I guess you can't have your cake and eat it too.

I am sorry to hear that your project has been postponed. I very much know how that goes.

That makes sense that a ZF5 would be tougher vs. the T56. One is designed for a truck and one for a car. I guess I just assumed that metal gears are metal gears and if the T56 was rated for ~500-600ft-lbs...it would likely be able to handle a F250 with a 5th wheel on its back?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts