460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my Fairlane to test & tune last night. This is my street driver with a fairly mild 466. The first run was just as I drive it on the street and it ran 12.86. Next I opened the cut-outs and ran 12.64. I bumped the timing up a bit and the ET raised to 12.68 but the mph increased slightly from 111.63 to 111.94. I then removed the air cleaner and it developed a high speed miss and slowed to 12.71 at 110.67. I didn't have time to try removing the exhaust and running straight out of the headers.

I was pretty pleased with the results since it is just a street car and hasn't been tuned since early spring. Based on the mph vs ET I believe that steeper gears or higher stall would help. I currently have 3:70 gears with 3200 rpm stall. The car was hooking good with practically no tire spin.

60 ft times were in the 2.06 - 2.13 range. I have not weighed the car, but I estimate it is probably around 3500 pounds.

James

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
RPM

I forgot to mention, my power peak is at 6200 rpm and I am crossing the finish line at 5000 rpm, so I probably need 4.10 - 4.20 gears to be optimal, but then it wouldn't be very streetable.

James

·
Registered
2,013 Posts
Nice runs James!! There isn't much on the street that can touch a 12 sec ride.

Bill

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Specs

Probe pistons with 10.3 compression
Ported DOVE's with Pi valves
Lunati solid flat tappet, .559-.572 lift, 237-247 duration @.050" lift. 110 lobe separation.
Howards direct lube solid lifters.
Torquer II Intake
950 ProForm Carburetor
2" Primary Crites headers
Ford Duraspark distributor recurved by Scott.

James

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Sounds like taking the breather off leaned it out on the big end, causing a miss. Post some pic's:)

·
Registered
526 Posts
You may not feel it but you're spinning I bet, either that or the launch can be improved. You're 60 ft for that mph can be better. But that's always the case especially the first time out. 12's is good, 12's is good :D

·
Registered
271 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Photo

Photo attached.

Yeah it seemed to lean out with the air filter off and I didn't bring my box of jets with me. Also, the exhaust cut outs are 3" diameter angled off of the main exhaust so I could probably pick up some more if I removed the exhaust and re-jetted and ran straight out of the headers but I wanted to see what it would do in street trim.

My son was watching at the line and the slicks (MT Streets) were hooking up pretty good. I think it just needs more gear to get a really good time.

James

Attachments

·
Registered
457 Posts
thats a clean good lookin fairlane, good times out fer first time, keep tweakin youll get there:), very nice car

1 - 11 of 11 Posts