460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody run the TFS off the shelf without any work? Did they increase over the D0VE heads?

I have a tube Chassis Mustang 2350 lbs, 514 D0VE headed BBF, Pg, 4.88 rear. Car runs 5.801/117 in the 1/8th mile on gas. Just wondered if it would pick up w/o port work on the TFS heads????

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Are Your Current Heads Ported?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
I would say you should pick up a tenth easy. My dove c headed 466 ran a best of 5.68 @2380# , 5.61 with out of the box tfs streets (same cubic in but different short block exact same cam).

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
Ky, Didn't you pick up like 8 mph or something like that?

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
This is not even a close call. :!:
A 25% increase in intake air flow and a 35% increase in exhaust flow is about the differences you will get with "out of the box" TFS heads vs. "stock" D0VE heads.

That's not even mentioning the 70 pounds in weight savings off the front end.

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
IDT-572 said:
Ky, Didn't you pick up like 8 mph or something like that?
If I remember correctly it was a good solid 7 mph out of the box. Then it picked up 2.9mph after Charlie ported the heads and the dominator carb.

That was with traction issues too , hind sight I think losing the 65-70 lbs actually moved the center of gravity lower in the car and may have contributed to the traction issues . I know thats sounds crazy , but I think a low slung car like mine is very sensitive to COG changes and that first 60' is the most important thing in et.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
rmcomprandy said:
This is not even a close call. :!:
A 25% increase in intake air flow and a 35% increase in exhaust flow is about the differences you will get with "out of the box" TFS heads vs. "stock" D0VE heads.

That's not even mentioning the 70 pounds in weight savings off the front end.
I ran the car in the past (5.801/117) with a Braswell 990 carb and now I have replaced that with a 8896 1050 Dommy. Some say around here the small carb is better in the 1/8th but I am going to find out in a few days.

They 70 lbs and the better flow might put me into the low 5.60s range I hope.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ky mustang said:
I would say you should pick up a tenth easy. My dove c headed 466 ran a best of 5.68 @2380# , 5.61 with out of the box tfs streets (same cubic in but different short block exact same cam).
What size convertor are you running. I have a 8 inch 5500 and wonder if a 9 would have been better?

·
Registered
1,161 Posts
Moodyblues said:
ky mustang said:
What size convertor are you running. I have a 8 inch 5500 and wonder if a 9 would have been better?
I run a PTC 8" that stalls to 5800 rpm with the 466. I also run this same converter behind Charlie's 533 with scj heads thats nippin right at 900 hp and it stalls to around 6300 rpm.

What you have to be careful with is the tfs heads are a little meaner on converters , just ask Blake (Idt572). :lol:

My doves stalled this same converter to 4600 so just the head swap and some tuning with tfs heads picked the stall up 1200 rpm. Just think what 91 more cubes would do to it :shock: .

I would highly suggest going with a PTC converter because they are well schooled on what tfs street heads need, now they are anyway :lol:

I am sure Charlie has relayed the info to Rick Smith at Tci also . Charlie has invested a lot of time in learning these heads and he would be a wise choice to have port them, Lem Evans is a tfs dealer and they are both in Owensboro so he can get the heads to Charlie quick . They are both fine gentleman to deal with and will do you right.

Nice looking car I bet that thing lauches hard :lol:

·
Premium Member
1,733 Posts
I would be surprised if the 1050 didn't pick it up. I went from a 1050 to a 1150 on my D2VE headed 514 and picked up some in the eighth.

Good looking car :wink:

We are close enough I should come up and run with you sometime.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ky mustang said:
Moodyblues said:
ky mustang said:
I run a PTC 8" that stalls to 5800 rpm with the 466. I also run this same converter behind Charlie's 533 with scj heads thats nippin right at 900 hp and it stalls to around 6300 rpm.

What you have to be careful with is the tfs heads are a little meaner on converters , just ask Blake (Idt572). :lol:

My doves stalled this same converter to 4600 so just the head swap and some tuning with tfs heads picked the stall up 1200 rpm. Just think what 91 more cubes would do to it :shock: .

I would highly suggest going with a PTC converter because they are well schooled on what tfs street heads need, now they are anyway :lol:

I am sure Charlie has relayed the info to Rick Smith at Tci also . Charlie has invested a lot of time in learning these heads and he would be a wise choice to have port them, Lem Evans is a tfs dealer and they are both in Owensboro so he can get the heads to Charlie quick . They are both fine gentleman to deal with and will do you right.

Nice looking car I bet that thing lauches hard :lol:

Yes mine is a PTC and Kenny Ford built it for me. Tranny is a TCI glide. I purchased the heads through Blair Patrick who builds Super Stock stuff for several NHRA S/S racers. He has used the Eldebrock heads in the past on the BBF stuff but after he took a look at the TFS heads he was impressed and said at a glance they look better than the Eldebrocks.. Good to talk with you. Thanks for the comments on the car, it is in primer now.

·
Registered
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IDT-572 said:
I would be surprised if the 1050 didn't pick it up. I went from a 1050 to a 1150 on my D2VE headed 514 and picked up some in the eighth.

Good looking car :wink:

We are close enough I should come up and run with you sometime.
Thanks. Yep come on down sometime and we will put a hurting on the Chebies. I have a friend moving down from Chicago with a new tube chassis Mustang that is going to tuen some heads.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts