460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have sold my E heads & am saving up for a better breathing head for my 460 ( eventually to be a 521- 557). I really like the feedback from scott about the P51's. scott & charlie have been very helpful with info about the TFS streets, if I am willing to cut new valve reliefs would I be better off waiting for the new P 51 heads to come out & not port them until I do the stroker? I am saving up $$$ and have all winter to kill . I am looking to make 650-700 hp with the 466 with flat top pistons & a comp cam street roller XR292R , victor , & a 950 carb. Someday I will get a better block & crank for the stroker & want to make 800-900 hp , I'm thinking at that point the TFS street will fall short ,. Am I wrong? I don't want to have to buy new heads again, over & over
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,041 Posts
Kelly...

If you were sticking with the 466 I might recommend ported TFS streets however...

If your intent is to build a stroker that will generate between 800 and 900 HP then wait for the P-51's. Unported they will be more than adequate for the 466 inch combo with an XR292R solid roller. Where the P-51's will really shine is on the stroker combo when some port work is done. They are a really sweet casting. I know because I have a prototype at the shop.

I talked to Jon today and he expects a run of 25 pair sometime in february... I have already asked for dibs on a pair or two.



:mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Very nice, I'll wait for feb! I think they will be worth the wait & the hassle of cutting a new intake valve relief into my pistons :mrgreen:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Hey Scott! Do you think that the P51s would be available to be bought in February? And what about the price? Is it about the same as the TFS Streets (roller prepped) ?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,041 Posts
According to Jon...

Bigbub1968 said:
Hey Scott! Do you think that the P51s would be available to be bought in February? And what about the price? Is it about the same as the TFS Streets (roller prepped) ?

...he expects them to be available in Feb. I suspect the end of Feb to be possible. As to cost they will be less than the FRPP version but final cost is yet TBD. Amounts of $100.00 to $150.00 have been discussed.

As to comparable cost to the TFS streets I suspect the ported P-51's to be several hundred dollars more. This because dealer cost bare is more.

.
.
.
8)
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,041 Posts
No I do not...

Bigbub1968 said:
Thanks for the reply Scott!! Do you think that a set of fully ported TFS Streets, could match a set of the P51's??

Even fully ported the TFS streets will not hang with the P-51's in a high HP rpm situation. Below 650 or so they would.

The more radical the combo the more advantage the P-51's will have.




8)
.
,
,
,
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
56 Posts
Sorry for too many questions.....but how would the P51 compare to the A460 Trick Flow heads? Or are these (A TFS) too much for a 513 street/strip engine?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
285 Posts
Didn't the TFS Street heads make over 800 Hp.....

I think Charlie Evans made a storker that put out over 800 HP with the TFS STREET castings. I cant remember how big it was but thats impressive.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,041 Posts
The TFS "A" heads...

Bigbub1968 said:
Sorry for too many questions.....but how would the P51 compare to the A460 Trick Flow heads? Or are these (A TFS) too much for a 513 street/strip engine?

Would support another 100 HP or so depending on the combo etc. Choice really depends on vehicle and intended use.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
400 Posts
Scott,

I apologize for hijacking; but while on the topic of TFS and P51s, which would best support a 557cid in a 5200lb truck used as a street motor (non-roller cam)? Looking at best cost effectivness, a P51 out of the box or TFS street out of the box or would the TFS require some work? Thanks.

John.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,941 Posts
Re: According to Jon...

The Mad Porter said:
Bigbub1968 said:
Hey Scott! Do you think that the P51s would be available to be bought in February? And what about the price? Is it about the same as the TFS Streets (roller prepped) ?

...he expects them to be available in Feb. I suspect the end of Feb to be possible. As to cost they will be less than the FRPP version but final cost is yet TBD. Amounts of $100.00 to $150.00 have been discussed.

As to comparable cost to the TFS streets I suspect the ported P-51's to be several hundred dollars more. This because dealer cost bare is more.

.
.
.
8)
If they are only $100 each i'll take them alll!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,041 Posts
Far a street based truck combo...

77F150 said:
Scott,

I apologize for hijacking; but while on the topic of TFS and P51s, which would best support a 557cid in a 5200lb truck used as a street motor (non-roller cam)? Looking at best cost effectivness, a P51 out of the box or TFS street out of the box or would the TFS require some work? Thanks.

John.
...I generally use ported, large valve, small port castings either the dove or d3 variety.

In order to keep c/r reasonable on pump gas a larger chamber us usually needed with the available shelf pistons in a 557 application if you want c/r to be 9 to 1 ish. If you can deal with low 10 to 1 area then the tfs streets with some port work make excellent street heads on a stroker combo.

I have them available for not a whole bunch more ported then they are out of the box at summit.

Throttle response and low end torque are absolutely amazing when coupled with an rpm intake and a good exhaust system.



8)
.
.
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
scott could you post again the pecking order from the best( ported A heads) to the worst (d3's ?). I tried to find it from the old forum but it's gone.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
548 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
ttt
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
9,041 Posts
Charlie posted this a while ago...

bigblock79 said:
scott could you post again the pecking order from the best( ported A heads) to the worst (d3's ?). I tried to find it from the old forum but it's gone.
Start a new post asking for him to post again...



8)
.
.
.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,615 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,384 Posts
Jon and/or Charlie, I would love to hear more about the build!

Jon wrote:
I think Charlie Evans made a stroker that put out over 800 HP with the TFS STREET castings. I cant remember how big it was but thats impressive.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top