460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Help. :)

Anybody out there have a good stall convertor with a 1.850" early flat pilot???
I have a later 1.375" pilot convertor doesn't it figure... Lol.

Talk to me.
I have cash or maybe something to trade if need be...

This is for my LTD project. I finally have a 10 to 1 460 with ported Eddy heads together for her and need a convertor.

:D

·
Registered
895 Posts
Converter

Scott,

A few years ago when I got that 4500 converter through you from Howards it had a removeable bushing on the end that lets you use either size. Maybe you could get one of those bushings from Howards for cheap. They are quite a tight interference fit or just get one made ?

FWIW Mark

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Scotty, I have two converters that measure 1.750" on the snout. 1 is a RV stall from Summit or Jegs (can't remember) never used and a TCI Street fighter with a 3,500 stall, never used and a stock C-6 converter thats used but worked good when we pulled it (I'd have to dig it out to measure the snout). Would any of these work for you?
Rob

·
Registered
294 Posts
Help. :)

Anybody out there have a good stall convertor with a 1.850" early flat pilot???
I have a later 1.375" pilot convertor doesn't it figure... Lol.

Talk to me.
I have cash or maybe something to trade if need be...

This is for my LTD project. I finally have a 10 to 1 460 with ported Eddy heads together for her and need a convertor.

Have a tci. But its a 3500. Only one run on it not sure about the pilot size thou

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
The pilot for the early convertors is about 1/2" in height and 1.850" in diameter.

The pilot for the later convertors is about 1 1/2" in length and has a 1.375" diameter at the end that registers in the crank. The pilot then spreads like a funnel to the back of the convertor and is quite a bit larger.

Link to pic of early pilot:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/ConverterPilotMeasurement.jpg

Link to later pilot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Recon-Torque-Converter-C-6-Non-Lock-Up-FM128-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae0de3cf2QQitemZ390319717618QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Crank differences:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_2.htm

Thanks guys...

·
Premium Member
126 Posts
I have a 12.5" convertor that is suppose to be a 3000 stall in a 5000 pound 4x4 that has maybe 50 miles on it. But that stall may be different in your application.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I lost my torque convertor builder last year. I was sorry to see Howard move on to other things.

Again guys 2500 stall is more than enough given 3.25 gears and a HP peak of 5200 rpm.

Thanks for looking.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I have a B&M Holeshot 2400 429 big snout convertor. It's NIB P/N# 40412. I'll take $150.00 shipped.
Andy
Sold !!!

How do you wish to be paid. Feel free to call or email me. Information is in my signature.

THANK YOU BROTHER that is a good deal.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I have a B&M Holeshot 2400 429 big snout convertor. It's NIB P/N# 40412. I'll take $150.00 shipped.
Andy
Andy,

Paypal sent.

Thank you again for your help.

:)

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I want to extend a great big thank you to all that responded to my post for a convertor.

I have the perfect convertor on the way as I write this. B&M 2400 holeshot. Thank you Andy for the quick service and good price.

Respectfully,
Scotty J. / RHP

:D :D :D :D

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My thanks to andy on the B&M holeshot.
It was delivered in a timely manner and is exactly as represented.

Good guy to deal with.

·
Premium Member
8,665 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Scotty call Midwest Converter 1-815-229-9808. Dennis will get you what you need.
Eric,

I spoke at length this morning with Dennis at midwest about building me a convertor. Thank you for the tip. He is a good guy...

The B&M 2400 hole shot convertor I got grenaded after 4 flash tests in second gear. This 2400 stall convertor stalled at over 3K until it let go and went to 4500 and then stopped working all together. It sounds like a bunch of marbles rolling around inside the converter. lol I checked the one way clutch for the stator and it is destroyed. Turns easily both ways and is not supposed to.

I in no way blame the member I purchased the convertor from as it arrived in new condition as stated. This is obviously a B&M issue which I will take up with them. I just wanted to put this out there.

Anybody else have QC issues the B&M product?

The trans appears to be unharmed however with all the garbage passed through it I am going to use a performance reman I have here at the shop with a B&M transpack shift improver kit to further improve the shift quality.

Pretty bummed at having to removed a trans from a fresh engine build on my back no less... :(

:(

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
The pilot for the early convertors is about 1/2" in height and 1.850" in diameter.

The pilot for the later convertors is about 1 1/2" in length and has a 1.375" diameter at the end that registers in the crank. The pilot then spreads like a funnel to the back of the convertor and is quite a bit larger.

Link to pic of early pilot:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/ConverterPilotMeasurement.jpg

Link to later pilot:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Recon-Torque-Converter-C-6-Non-Lock-Up-FM128-_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem5ae0de3cf2QQitemZ390319717618QQptZMotorsQ5fCarQ5fTruckQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Crank differences:

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/components_2.htm

Thanks guys...

Thank you for posting this info as I have my tranny out right now and I had small vibration I couldn't seem to track down, and it seems I have the tapered crank and should have a 1.375 convertor and the PO installed a 1.848 one. I am changing my convertor anyhow, but now I know why I had wear on the hub going into the front pump.

Thanks!!

D

1 - 20 of 20 Posts