460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
ROFLMAO! Man does THAT sound familiar! When ever someone comes to me and wants me to do some work "at a reduced rate" I tell them that I can starve to death just as easy by sitting on my a$$ and doing nothing as I can by doing crap for free! ....and it's easier. lol Years ago I had a real nice shop in Tucson and in my office I had a framed sign and it read: (and bear in mind that this was in the late 70's)
Shop Rate $25/hour
If you watch $35/hour
If you help $45/hour
If you've worked on it before me $85/hour....

Rob

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Oh man I have felt like that before, some cheap azz wants a used engine put in there car dirt cheap then wines when it blows up after a couple days then expects me to replace the junk they brought me for free:mad:. I got to the point that I just tell them to take it somewhere else. I used to do brake jobs for $40/axle and people would complain when Midas wanted $500:confused:. I have very fair prices for my services but people still complain, the last brake job I did the woman asked me to do the brakes and when I told her $40 for labor only she said she could get it done for $20, a couple days later she called me and offered me $50 to do it as the guy she paid $20 to do it took her money and left her hanging.

Another great one is people see I have a welder and ask how much to weld their rusted out exhaust up and get mad when you tell them it can't be done buy new parts and we can talk.

I have just got to the point I usually tell people I only work on my own stuff.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Oh man I have felt like that before, some cheap azz wants a used engine put in there car dirt cheap then wines when it blows up after a couple days then expects me to replace the junk they brought me for free:mad:. I got to the point that I just tell them to take it somewhere else. I used to do brake jobs for $40/axle and people would complain when Midas wanted $500:confused:. I have very fair prices for my services but people still complain, the last brake job I did the woman asked me to do the brakes and when I told her $40 for labor only she said she could get it done for $20, a couple days later she called me and offered me $50 to do it as the guy she paid $20 to do it took her money and left her hanging.

Another great one is people see I have a welder and ask how much to weld their rusted out exhaust up and get mad when you tell them it can't be done buy new parts and we can talk.

I have just got to the point I usually tell people I only work on my own stuff.
LOLOL $40/axle?? Man, I'm bringin' my stuff to YOU! lol
Rob

·
Registered
739 Posts
I rebuilt the 6 cylinder engine in my neighbor's pick up truck, the rebuild went fine - ran like a charm, BUT anything, and everything that went wrong with it afterwards - was my fault! A year later a rear universal joint went bad - my fault, it wasn't like that until I worked on it! Radiator sprung a leak - my fault, it wasn't like that until I worked on it! You get the idea, this college educate CPA is a total moron! I never work on neighbor's cars anymore - because of him!

Wayne

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good Laugh

I deal with people like that on a weekly basis, customers never cease to amaze me with there ridiculous request and perceptions, and when something goes wrong it's allways ever since you worked on my car!!!

·
Premium Member
466 Posts
I have always wondered why all the old business men in my small town were always such grumpy bastards to deal with. Now owning my own independent repair shop for 12 years now I think I'm grumpier than they are, soon as I though I heard it all someone never ceases to amaze me. My lot is filling up full of cars that people can't pay or even try to pay the bill on.

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I had a guy in the repair business in the next building from where I was at, a few years ago. He told me that he LOVED doing brake inspections for FREE. By LAW in Michigan, if a licensed shop does a disassembly brake inspection and it is BAD, they are PROHIBITED by law to put it back together with the bad parts.
The customer either pays for the job or has it towed out on a flat bed.

The racing engine business certainly doesn't have these kind of people also ... right??? (tongue planted firmly in cheek)

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
Don't get me started. :rolleyes: And I don't even have a business. Some people will act like an *** when you do a favor for free.

A friend asked me to help him switch a 455 from some 4 door into his Tempest. After we pulled the motor, we found a big hole in the side of the block. He got pissed and left both cars at my house for months. He also told me I could keep the 49 dollar engine stand he bought for the project. After several years, he wanted to know if I was still using his engine stand because he needed it back. :D

Another guy was a welder, and said he would do some work on my Galaxie chassis if I let him use my garage to work on his car for a while. He worked on my stuff for a day, and disappeared for about 6 months with his car in my garage. I finally pushed it outside, and he called me about 2 days later. Imagine that......

I could go on and on......

·
Registered
108 Posts
Then there's the famous "just fix this part, I'm going to trade it off".

Then it comes back a year later, when it's REALLY junk, and you get "can you do that again"?

I don't miss workin' for the public either.

And I know what you guys mean on the bumper to bumper warranty after changing an air cleaner too! :D

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
I don't have the money right now,but I brought you some fresh tomatoes:rolleyes::eek::mad:

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
LMFAO!!! I was a Tech for Firestone for 10 years(and an honest one) and saw alot of this stuff. I would have reacted somewhat like the cartoon guy did! I would have informed him earlier in the converstion that I could not deliver what he wanted. Now working at a parts store I see the other side. The problem is HOW things are communicated to customers. No "crash and burn". Instead of "if you don't put struts on your car, you're tires will be ruined" we should say "for improved perfomance we suggest that you think about replacing your struts and aligning soon". It's called MAP standards, and anyone not practicing it should not be allowed to be a professional Technician. It sounds like you guys are hip to this, but I still laughed my A_ _ off watching that!!
Josh

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
that was pretty good. I've been in the customer position too and it's no fun. Bell Ford in Phoenix, my '99 powerstroke shuts down and I don't have another cam sensor with me. The dealer should replace that little part for free and if it's not that, then I'll pay for the diagnostics and fix it myself if it's something simple. After 4 hour wait I'm told it's the ICP sensor and it'll be $1850 to replace. I asked if they checked the cam sensor and the guy got all pissy with me right off and I just told him that even his attitude after such a harmless small question was enough I didn't want my truck there. I paid the $117 diag. fee and drove it (would run when engine cold) to Autozone. Bought the stupid $26 cam sensor, put it in over the next 5 minutes, drove the truck back home to Iowa and it's been running fine for the year since. Mark (the guy at Bell Ford) also told me about my 'marginal' brakes and how they needed replacing now or very soon. A week before that trip I put in 3 new calipers and all new pads and rotors. The brakes weren't dragging or anything funky and were all brand spankin new. Grrr. The only reason I got into car repairs and such was to avoid dealing with a lot of these mechanics. Some are decent, most aren't. Everyone makes errors but from what I've seen it's pretty much rediculous. My sister's '85 Jeep quit driving 4 days ago. The mechanic she took it to talked with me a bit on the phone. "So it doesn't do anything?" mechanic- "nope, I have a transmission coming and we'll have time to replace that later this coming week". me-"does the driveshaft spin when it's put in gear?" mech.- "no, the jeep doesn't move" me-"would you please look to see if the driveshaft turns when it's put in gear?" mech- "fine." A minute or so later... mech- "it spins but the new transmission should fix it." me- "It DOES spin and the jeep won't move? It's probably stripped on the end of that ****ty two piece Jeep axle." And so now she's getting an axle/hub replaced. It never ends. At least her mechanic was honest enough to say the driveshaft spins... but even with that he thought the trans was the problem.

·
Registered
2,857 Posts
I used to sell parts many years ago. I often heard the same old, " I put three of your junk @$$ starters on my car and it still won't start!". I was always amazed at how many times people would replace the wrong part before they would accept the fact that it wasn't the problem. :eek:

Customer: I need a starter.

Me: What is the car doing?

Customer: It just spins over, but it won't start, so I need a starter.

:D:D:D

1 - 20 of 26 Posts