460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As some of you know I have been adjusting and adjusting the carb. Had some good weather this evening and ran...

1.845 60ft
5.592 330
8.821 660
75.4 mph

This was 4 jet sizes down from the last best time and I still think there is more too be had. Now that I see it can run 75mph!!

For those of you that don't know. my truck is a 1979 F150 supercab, shortbed, 460/c6 3:50 gear. well over 160,000miles and weighs 4,570 lbs.

Mods, Hyd cam, Performer intake, 850 dp, 1-3/4 headman headers, 2,600 stall, mini spool & 29x9 drag radials.

Heads have never been un-bolted from the block, compression test and oil pressure prove it!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
Good job jones. :D

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks,,

I knew I was going to have a new best time when it ran back in the 74mph at 35 degrees of timing, where it use to take 43. So, I bumped it up to 40 and bam!

I can't wait to build a fresh engine!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
What heads are you running? I run the Iron SCJ (D0OE-R) and set my timing at 34 total. This is what mine likes.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Stock D3ve that came on this engine. Only thing I have done to these heads is replace the valvesprings when I swapped cams.

I just kept turning the timing up until it starts to slow down. I tried 34 degree last week but I lost some mph and et.

·
Registered
1,475 Posts
Good job Jones...What's up?.....Those D3's like some timing.......Damn ya beat my 01 Mustang GT in the 1/8th....they would really respond to some milling and porting...........good luck and keep us posted..............D

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks guys, I feel so much better now that the truck is back to running close to where it was before I started fiddling with the carb.

Funny thing is, the truck ran in the 9.0's with 80 jets, 8.8s with 76 jets, 9.0's with 74's and now 8.8's with 7.2's.

The plugs are halfway clean now and it doesn't do that burble driving down the hwy above 65mph.

OH, I made 12 passes last night!!! Five of those passes where hot lap's. I was thinking about bracket racing today and wanted to see how each lane worked. Truck ran the same every pass.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Phantasea466 said:
Josh,

Way to go! You gonna build a new engine over the winter?

Keep wrenchin'
Ta,Da!!

I am going to try, depends on money!

I have been thinking of starting a thread but I don't have a clue what I am going to do! I guess I will just build what ever I can get my hands on.

I am going to build something! Just how wild is the question.

I did start this thread.
http://460ford.com/viewtopic.php?p=94258#94258

1 - 16 of 16 Posts