460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im thinking z5 s-42/s-47 I would say its a 3 speed with granny and overdrive. I am looking to achieve the cheapest torque monster in my rat rod. 460s in my area are about 500. zf5s are around. top loaders are 1000+ . Also are there stock years for rear sump or will I have to get a special after market pan and re route kit? I did see those for fox body swaps.

·
Registered
729 Posts
The ZF5 is a truck transmission... Shifts like a big truck too. The Hydraulic clutch makes conversions a little easier. Unless you're on a farm and pulling heavy loads at slow speeds, the 5.72:1 first gear is almost useless. In the spirit of hot rodding, the diesel gears and gas gears are swappable. The 4.14:1 gears of the diesel would mate much better in a street rig.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The ZF5 is a truck transmission... Shifts like a big truck too. The Hydraulic clutch makes conversions a little easier. Unless you're on a farm and pulling heavy loads at slow speeds, the 5.72:1 first gear is almost useless. In the spirit of hot rodding, the diesel gears and gas gears are swappable. The 4.14:1 gears of the diesel would mate much better in a street rig.
It will live on a farm possible towing of light weights like puling an antique car on trailer. if its stable. Ratios are going to be whats available the close ratio vs wide kinda mirror the old 3/4 speeds. Wide looks more available. Hydro clutch is in the plan. With the hyrdro round throw out style. With the rear looks like an explorer 8.8 is the only viable affordable option. My other ford has ratios of 1st gear - 3.12:1; 2nd gear - 1.85:1 3rd 1:1. getting pushed by about 40hp. and no snycro straight cut gears Im not concerned with quick shifts. or the optimal ratios, displacement should overcome. Just for fun ride.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts