460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
Look at the cars involved. All Imports. MOST of the true "auto enthusiaists" wouldnt be involved in any kind of event like took place that night. I dont think we have anything to worry about.

·
Registered
167 Posts
California is one of the strictest states in the nation, as far as hi performance modifications arent they? Im glad I dont live down there, my old lincoln would have been impounded a long time ago.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
Coupe Devil said:
Look at the cars involved. All Imports. MOST of the true "auto enthusiaists" wouldnt be involved in any kind of event like took place that night. I dont think we have anything to worry about.
My small hometown has "street rods" that gather at the Taco Johns every Wednesday night during the entire summer. There is an occasional smoke show and plenty of guy's that have modified car’s.

Personally I think that situation is totally sad, specially being the "California" is spose to pretty much the history of street rods from the early days.

You mean to tell me out of all them cops not "one" of them own a street rod or a modified street car of any kind. ?? Sure there is but there out there giving "hypocrite tickets" :roll: :roll:

·
Registered
508 Posts
that has little to do with it. the point is that cops went above their boundaries again, and made up some bullsh*t just to get more money.
Coupe Devil said:

·
Registered
400 Posts
North of the border in Ontario it's starting to become just as bad. The government and insurance companies work hand in hand to make life difficult. Using a couple killed by an alleged street racer as martyrs (the part about the killed driver being legally drunk was ignored) the government passed a street racing law; broad and wide ranging in what they can use to write you up and has the minimum of a $2000 fine and your vehicle impounded for a week with the bonus of most insurance companies dropping you on renewal. In less than a year over 3000 of these "Street Racing" citations have been issued (that's $6,000,000 in fines), the majority are people driving 50km over the posted limit. Street Racers? I would be shocked if 1% are true street racing, some real speeders and the rest are regular people driving too fast but now the cops are judge and jury. When the bill was being discussed they wanted to ban all performance modifications, it took some work to get it scaled back to something close to reasonable.
Oh yes, the bonus is that most insurance companies will drop you if they find out you modify your vehicle or not even take you on as a customer.

·
Registered
1,309 Posts
And then cops think you are the asshole when you give them no respect.. :roll:

·
Registered
1,239 Posts
The lawyer's will have a field day with this no evidence of racing just that you modified your car that isn't going to fly. There just betting no one will fight it. If they were smart they would go to the( American Civil Liberties Union). I don't like the bastards but there their you may as well use them.

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
The reason cops probably haven't yet begun to hassle redneck hot rodders is because there'd be a lot of cops getting shot. I wouldn't be surprised if that started happening in Cali. As for people's safety, harsh fines are just going to encourage kids to try even more risky methods to get away.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
I understand Police have to do their job, nothing they can do to stop that. I would hope that the officers who are gearheads/hotrodders would not go overboard and bend rules to support this type of program or choose to take overtime to be a part of it. :wink:

I had a neighbor that is a police officer, everytime we fire up the race car ( weekends/mid day) he would make a point to call the Dept and send an officer to the house/property to stand in my driveway/garage while we had it running. Even though I wasn't breaking any noise/time ordinance if the police is called they have to send an officer. Because he was a shift officer he pushed the law a little further and had them stay to annoy us and give me the added hardship.Walk my garage and property how they seen fit.

One of the officers (gearhead) came one of the times and told me to write down the the details of when /what officers came, time, dates and the details of every visit. He said establish a pattern.

The next spring he bought a Harley (night shift) I made a formal noise ordinace complaint w/ two other neighbors and provided all my notes with the complaint. Long story short he was told either he had to provide an exhaust that was exceptable in a residential neighborhood or push it to work and back. He has a "sissy pipe" on his Harley sounds pathtic bitch bike..... one of those watch what you wish for.

S

·
0 Posts
Sacramento Raceway...

The cops go watch the race then wait for the cars to exit the track.

I've never been there but one of the forums I've visited has some posts about it..

Anyboody race there?

Laters!

·
Registered
400 Posts
That's another famous BS tatic used up here, the push on stopping "Street Racing" and yet when an event at a track is run they line up to write as many tickets as possible when the people leave. Makes you wonder what the value of doing the right thing is.

Not all cops are bad, I got pulled over two weeks ago for speeding (and I was), the speed limit changed but you don't hit the residential area for a while and I was well above the new limit. The cop was polite but said the residents had lodged complaints about excessive speed in the area so he was sent to crack down. He knocked it down to $50 with no points. I deserved it.

That was the nice one, I've more than my share that have no idea of the new law and how it's worded (I keep a laminated copy in the cab) and few even know the Transportation act. Those are the ones that infuriate me. Two excellent examples; a ghost car was passed by a young driver and caught up with him and then paced him and edged him on until he was well over the 50km above the posted limit and then could write him up for "Street Racing". The second, a cop with his wife was off duty and was passed by a speeding car, he called on his cell to get a cop car on him but he also followed at speeds over 160km with his wife in his personal car so he could ensure the "Street Racing" ticket could be issued. I didn't read where the cop was written up.

And my last beef (promise), how many cops do you know that have speeding tickets or DUI on their records?.........exactly.

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
77F150 said:
And my last beef (promise), how many cops do you know that have speeding tickets or DUI on their records?.........exactly.
The perks of being a cop, you can break the law, and then have another cop break it again for you. :roll: :roll:

I couldn't be a cop I'm to honest, I couldn't stand being hypocritical :wink:

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
This is getting crazy. Who in their right mind would let them get away with such acts? I'm sorry, if crap like that spreads to other states we will soon be on our way to a revolt. That's not democracy, that boarders on communism!

Someone needs to do something about Ca. They are tainting the water supply, if you know what I mean.

·
Registered
685 Posts
jones said:
This is getting crazy. Who in their right mind would let them get away with such acts? I'm sorry, if crap like that spreads to other states we will soon be on our way to a revolt. That's not democracy, that boarders on communism!

Someone needs to do something about Ca. They are tainting the water supply, if you know what I mean.
I have to agree with most of you.

When I lived in Riverside for 3yrs while going to school, I did notice that most of the Import cars were tied up in street racing or Asian gangs. (Sorry but thats just way it is out in Cali). I can see why the cops are doing this, is it right? "Yes" and "No", some of those cars are stolen most of the parts (engines) stolen the list goes on.....

As for the hot rods, I'll lump them all into "Classic Vehicles". Cops never mess with them, seems like they get respect from every-one...
Cali is big into the hot-Rod, and the life-style... you never see them in a parking lot @ 1:00 am,,, hint hint "Talking"... Yes you will find them at a drive in or a car show or the track... Never in a parking lot @ the weee hours of the morning...

Mostly it's the new generation (young men, teen agers) and the stuff that goes along with the young crowds?

cheers

·
Registered
1,156 Posts
jones said:
Jones, your right. California has been polluting the waters for years it will eventually float into the "street rod/hotrodder" and effect the car enthusiast. :cry:

As soon as the " state government" figures out( already have) that they can turn this into a revenue and income, it will not be long before they lump the "import racers" and the "street rodder/gearhead" into one category. ... I PROMICE YOU THAT WILL HAPPEN !!!!!! :wink:

State government/legislatures don't give a damn or have any respect for a gearhead/streetrodder guy who builds a car in their garage with their own hands. None of them guys can wrap their head around why or who would ever consider that was entertainment or a respectful thing to do. Guys like us are a small group, it will be hard for us to ever protect ourselves.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
You have to also understand that in Cali, the age of a car affects its modability. If it's old enough then emissions rules don't affect it and you can almost mod it to your heart's content. Likely the majority of the cars at that particular show were screwed with to the point that their emissions were out of "spec". Doesn't make it right though. I wouldn't have had a problem with a few uniforms showing up at that get together to make sure things didn't get out of hand, but to just crack down on a peaceful gathering? Likely we don't know all the details but it still seems fishy.
Hard to have respect for police when it seems they are abusing their authority. First time I got pulled over in my life, I had a highway patrolman pass the opposit direction, I was accelerating to the speed limit but was still five under. He flips around, pulls me over. Tells me he pulled me over because I didn't have a front plate on my truck. I tell him that it was there this morning. He also notices a crack in my windshield and write me up for that too. I ask him where I can get another plate to replace the one that must have fallen off in the 200 miles I'd just traveled and he tells me, exact words, "Well they come in two". Guess they don't teach these guys to LISTEN! So, I drive the rest of my 120 miles to my parents' house and get out. Lo and behold, bolted to my front bumper, plain as day, a piece of tin commonly known as a license plate. This guy must have slipped through the vision AND the hearing portions of his highway patrol tests. Not to mention he told me he'd let me slide on the windshield because he knows they're expensive, yet he still wrote it on the fixit ticket so I still had to get the dang thing replaced within two weeks. Sounds like he was setting me up for getting into more trouble. If I hadn't been 17 at the time and scared to death (remember, first time to be pulled over ever) I'd have gotten out of the truck and checked as soon as he told me I didn't have a plate up there. Then I'd have called him to task and asked to speak to his superiors.
Getting all worked up. Gotta go to work. :lol:

·
Registered
1,667 Posts
blown86hallet said:
jones said:
you never see them in a parking lot @ 1:00 am,,, hint hint "Talking"... Yes you will find them at a drive in or a car show or the track... Never in a parking lot @ the weee hours of the morning...

cheers
The local car forum I'm on, we do weekly meets in basically what is the Walmart parking lot in two towns. Hanging out outside until 11 PM usually.

Walmart gave us the ok but said if ANYTHING goes on, they will call the cops. Closest track is 2+ hours away.. that's out. Car shows? None in the winter... all the car shows around here have signs that say "no Imports". Then once SRT4s started showing up, they put "no FWD" signs.

In the winter we moved indoors to local restaurants. They are more than happy with the $300+ bills we generate on an otherwise dead night.

And yes I'm out there amongst the Mustang/Fbodies imports... with my truck :lol:

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Heck, in my youthful days that's all we did was hangout in parking lots and cruise the strip. Nothing else to do! Some places didn't like us but we would get ran off by a cop and move to the next parking lot.
Their is a few yahoos that had to show off while leaving and ruin the spot for everyone. Most of the time though the cops would just pull them over and never bother us.

The cops always waited for something to happen rather than making something up. They knew they would get atleast one screwing around.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts