460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hi everyone, im in the hospital and it sucks.... i ended up being very short of breath on friday so i went in, and it turns out my lungs were about 2/3 collapsed from blood clots on them. they havent given me a definite time ill be out, but its sounding like this fridayish. if it takes that long ill be out about 20k, so so much for the house idea. :roll: oh well at least im still here. ive got a strong family history of clots so ill be on blood thinners the rest of my life... at least theyre cheap (10 dollars a month). at 28 i figured i still had a couple good years left before my genes would catch up with me, but i guess i was wrong. ill post more later when i have something a little more concrete.

·
Registered
862 Posts
Sorry to hear that and hope you are up and running soon!! If you feel well enough, I think the Tech Seminar would make you feel alot better. Anyhow, get well soon!!!

Keith

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Man I hate that for you. I know how blood clots go, I have had two in my leg and had to stay in the hospital for two weeks because of them.

Be careful while you are on the blood thinners in the hospital. It's a dangerous time.

Ps I had mine when I was 21

·
Registered
3,195 Posts
Sorry to hear that Darrin... I'll keep you in my prayers... You'll be out in no time...

Doug... 8)

D

·
0 Posts
Man your too young to be dealing with something like that, Hope things work ot for you.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Sorry to hear about that, get well soon. Jones and Darrin, what causes something like that at such a young age, just wondering.
Nick

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
hi all,
lonnie, thanks for asking but no, im good (aside from being in the hospital) unless you want to visit and talk cars ;) .my work sent me a candy bouquet that i got when i got out of my chest xray yesterday. i called and thanked them. im hoping to be out by the 20th for the company christmas party. jones- im sorry to hear youve got clots too. you on coumadin as well? nick- usually people with clot issues have a genetic predisposition towards having clots. our bodies put out too much clotting factor making any restriction in our circulatory system increase the risk of clotting... a restriction could be something simple like sitting too long in the same position (like my vacation to colorado and st louis- 13 hours straight through each leg) or injury, or if the vein has some restriction naturally (like plaque inside the vein from too much bad cholesterol) will increase the risk of clots. the doctors said they want to cut me open and put a filter in the big vein that goes up the inside of my back to keep the clots in my leg from also going to my lungs.
just thought id bring you all up to speed.

darrin

·
Registered
67 Posts
Wow, I finally found someone like me (or two!). DVT/PE's at age 15 and 23, then they installed that Greenfield filter, so now I only get 'em in my legs. Genetic issue with me, too. Warfarin doesn't work for me, only Coumadin. I have a PT meter at home to monitor "viscosity". Take good car of teh skin on your legs, after the second episode I started to get bad ulcers. Now I get to wear compression stockings forever. Sweet!! Good luck, hope all goes well for you. The filter was no big deal, by the way.

Pete

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
ProStreetFairlane said:
Sorry to hear about that, get well soon. Jones and Darrin, what causes something like that at such a young age, just wondering.
Nick
Don't really know, although we might have some ideas now. I use to be a powerlifter in High school and college. I always had a leg ache and at the time we thought I got the clot by the extreem change in life style. Went from Powerlifting, working at the dragstrip, and manual labor jobs. To sitting behind a desk as a designer.
Long story short we think I might have had a bulging disc since highschool and that was the cause of me giving too that leg. Which that caused the blood clot.

Don't know for sure though, you can get a clot from being inactive to some type of trama.

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
Galaxie427 said:
Wow, I finally found someone like me (or two!). DVT/PE's at age 15 and 23, then they installed that Greenfield filter, so now I only get 'em in my legs. Genetic issue with me, too. Warfarin doesn't work for me, only Coumadin. I have a PT meter at home to monitor "viscosity". Take good car of teh skin on your legs, after the second episode I started to get bad ulcers. Now I get to wear compression stockings forever. Sweet!! Good luck, hope all goes well for you. The filter was no big deal, by the way.

Pete
That stinks, I stayed on Coumadin for the longest until my blood thinned out. I had to change my eating habits, (no real green veggies) and now I just take Asprin to keep it thin. They started to put a filter in me but they decided against it.
I agree, my leg looks teribile, I'd love for it to be back to normal.

·
Registered
294 Posts
Darrin,

Sorry to hear about your clots!

Be very careful because clots are very dangerous. A good friend( much older than you ) was using coumadin to thin his blood( heart problems ) and caused him to bleed internally( 2 pints ). Another friend( owns many nursing homes ) said it is only a matter of time until you bleed when using coumadin.

Mike

·
Premium Member
4,396 Posts
545 87LX said:
Darrin,

Sorry to hear about your clots!

Be very careful because clots are very dangerous. A good friend( much older than you ) was using coumadin to thin his blood( heart problems ) and caused him to bleed internally( 2 pints ). Another friend( owns many nursing homes ) said it is only a matter of time until you bleed when using coumadin.

Mike
Thats not really the scary part either! The scary part is you can throw a clot to the heart or brain and die at the drop of the hat. It is a very serious matter.

·
Registered
1,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
hi all
im out :) they put the filter in on friday, and that night it hurt like hell... they gave me 5 shots of morphine and it barely took the edge off, then they gave me a couple vicadin and i was finally able to sleep. when i woke up it only hurt when i put myself in the wrong position. it still hurts if i sit without reclining, or if i lay on my back, or if i breathe deeply. but they said theyd take it out in a couple months when the blood clot in my leg dissipates. galaxie427, they gave me compression stockings too. at least i had some pretty nurses to look at ;)
the last 6 people to die in my family died of stroke (blood clot in the head). my father had a heart transplant last year because a virus attacked it, all my uncles on my fathers side have serious heart problems, both sides are cancer-ridden- basically i was screwed before i was even born.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts