460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey Guys,
I am looking for advice from folks that have experience with this engine combo. I got this from a family member of someone that passed away and they knew less than nothing about the engine. It is an old build and was in an all fiberglass 65 Mustang bracket car with a glide (the car is gone). I kept the engine and tranny.

It is a 547 D0ve block, bored to 4.5, short filled. It has stock 4-bolt caps in the center. I don't know what brand of crankshaft (4.3 stroke), but it is internal balanced, Scat H-beam rods w/ 8740 bolts, and BME flattop pistons (.010 in the hole). The block is o-ringed / copper gaskets and has ARP studs. The passenger side lifter bores are bushed, and the inside is painted that reddish orange.
It has a Lunati Solid Roller Cam. Advertised Duration (Int/Exh): 287/295 ;Duration @ .050 (Int/Exh): 256/264 ;Gross Valve Lift (Int/Exh): .672/.672 ;LSA/ICL: 108/102
The heads are BBF-1 A460s. I sent the heads to Charlie because of some bent valves (my fault). He worked his flow magic on them and installed new Ti valves and springs. It has a Trick Flow dual quad 4500 tunnel ram with 1050s on it.

I want to put this in a 3400lb 85 T-bird for street/strip. No power adder. Probably a Grid ignition. It looks like it will be right at 12-1 compression. Can I get by on pump gas? How temperature "unfriendly" is a short filled block in this situation? Is the head / manifold even doable in a street situation (seems like race only)? Is there a better cam choice for this combo (as street/strip, and/or if I went race only)?

Registered
Wow, what a beast!

ANYTHING is possible. Imo, that is a great foundation for a 1/4mi (or Maxton mile). A really good tune could make it "streetable", if you can tolerate the character. I would not toss the keys to anyone else, nor plan a long road trip.

The bore size and half fill, not to mention the horsepower and rpm's it will spin, will require considerable work to keep it cool. An E85 diet could also be considered... to help cool, as well as keeping detonation at bay. The solid lifters will require frequent service and replacement... the Madporter can help with a custom HR cam to extend the SR lifter life.

Congrats on the monster motor! 馃憤

Registered
was the block sonic checked for wall thickness before boring it?seems a little big for a stock block.but as for the combo,i think you could street drive and even on pump 93,if you have it there.but it would be on a thin line racing it on pump better to run e-85 for sure.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
was the block sonic checked for wall thickness before boring it?seems a little big for a stock block.but as for the combo,i think you could street drive and even on pump 93,if you have it there.but it would be on a thin line racing it on pump better to run e-85 for sure.
I agree that the bore is big for this block. The engine was in an all fiberglass, tube chassis 65 Mustang bracket car when I got it.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts