460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Guy,s
Picked up a 1988 T-Bird last weekend and looking at putting my 466 with a c6 behind it.
I have not messed with these chassis so I know nothing about what works and what doesn't. I has a manual steering rack with a 351w c6 in it now. I would like to stay with
the motor mounts instead of a engine plate if that helps? I know Lem has a good deal on oil
pans right now I'm not sure if it would work or not? What type of headers yada yada yada.
Motor does have a set of tfs street heads withthe exhaust ports being a little higher than stock location not sure if that's a problem or not. As always thanks for the advice.
Steve

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
The 88 T-Bird is the last year of the Fox Body T-Birds,i had a 88 T-Bird that i put a 460 in.I have some pictures of it but not alot.If the one you're looking at had the K-Member changed to a aftermarket that would be a plus,since the Mustang K-Member was different than the T-Bird in 1988.The factory T-Bird K-member in 88 had motor mount bolts that went paralell to the frame rails.In order for me to use the 460 swap motor mounts in the T-Bird i had to use a Mustang K-Member and lower front control arms.The rear control arms on the 87-88 T-Birds are also longer than than the Mustangs IIRC.If you have any questions or pictures just ask,i don't have the T-bird any longer but i do have some pictures like i mentioned earlier.

Later Mark.

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
mounts

The rear of this one has adjustable upper contol arms and ssm lower control arms with a air bag on the right side. I'm thinking the front still has the stock k-member but with a flaming river rack & pinon setup. Pictures would be very helpfull.
Steve

·
Registered
437 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pictures

Mark.
Thanks for the pictures. What springs did you use on the front. Like the stance of the car!!
Steve

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
Steve,

Thanks for the compliment i'm using the stock 4 cylinder springs on the front and rear of my car believe it or not.

Later Mark.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
Steve: My 87 T-Bird Turbo Coupe has the factory k-frame. I had to make custom solid mounts to adapt the 460.

I did custom mounts for 2 reasons:
1. I wanted my engine as far back and as low as possible because the theme of my TC is "stock appearing" on the outside.
2. I plan on running this car in the monster mile so I did not want to question the strength of an aftermarket tubular member.(unless I bought the Maximum Motorsport brand)

I used a Van C-6 trans mount to lower the rear of the trans
My front springs are the original 4 cyl. TC ones
You will need a double hump trans cross member....standard 86-93 5.0 Mustang stuff.

Pics with the old "mock up " engine:

I'll post pics of the custom mounts later.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
These are pics of the mounts.
Note in the first 2 in-car pics that the 1/2 inch bolts are missing and the engine is slid forward about 1 inch.

The 2 bottom pics show the upper half of the mounts bolted to the new engine.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts