460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Guys,
Refresh my memory I’m putting in a new cam. Dist out timing cover off before I go further and take the chain off when do u know your not 180 off on timing. I believe it’s when 1 and 6 are up at TDC at the same time. I think when it’s off 180 both cylinders are not up at the same time. enlighten Me on this...thanks.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Hey Guys,
Refresh my memory I’m putting in a new cam. Dist out timing cover off before I go further and take the chain off when do u know your not 180 off on timing. I believe it’s when 1 and 6 are up at TDC at the same time. I think when it’s off 180 both cylinders are not up at the same time. enlighten Me on this...thanks.
The pistons? I always thought it was how your valves were sitting for #1 and #6 for an approximation.

Sent from my SM-N950W using Tapatalk

·
Registered
73 Posts
Keyway on crank is at 12 o'clock and pin on the cam is at 6 o'clock... is TDC for #1 (both valves closed).

Rotate the crank 360 degrees (1 turn) and the cam pin is at 12 o'clock... TDC for cylinder #6.

If the chain is 180 degrees out.... aka a SBC... you'll bend some pushrods or valves... if you are lucky!!!

·
Registered
123 Posts
Rotate engine with your finger over the #1 cylinder spark plug hole, keep rotating until compression pushes your finger off. It's very noticeable. Now you're on the compression stroke on #1 where you need to be. I usually rotate to about 10-20BTDC and put the distributor in with the rotor facing whatever post you want #1 to be. Put all your wires on in the correct firing order from there. Works every time. No pops and bangs, just fires right up. Once it's fired you can set timing more accurately.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts