460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does anyone know where to get a good quality replacement timing chain cover? Looking for one for my 93 f250 7.5l. Will the older ones work? I've seen the Dorman and pioneer brands but have read some bad reviews on them. The local jy doesn't have any 460's. Any info would be appreciated.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I use a Pioneer and it definitely doesn't fit like the OEM timing covers. I had to omit the lower pan/timing cover neoprene/rubber seal as well as the two cork oil pan gaskets for the timing cover's crank seal to correctly center on the harmonic spacer. Just used a bit of RTV for sealing purposes that omitting the above caused and hasn't been an issue since. Finding a used stock TC in great shape will be fairly difficult considering age and neglect, mostly due to not up keeping the coolant causing corrosion. Good luck.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's what I've read about both the pioneer and dorman. Jegs has a house brand (not sure who makes it for them) that looks like better quality. Says it fits up to 96. The only difference between the serpent and v-belt is the water pump right? Are the timing covers are essentially the same except the fuel pump mount?

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Summit racing's search engine sucks. Did some digging and found the ford racing timing cover. P/n m-6059-460. It's $156 but if it fits properly it's worth it. No provisions for dip stick or fuel pump.

·
Registered
287 Posts
The last one I bought from a Ford dealer with dip stick and fuel pump flange was 1984 it's the one I'm using now just had it off last year and it's still like new did change the steel plate I'd say those are long gone except for a barn finded or something like that

·
Premium Member
8,750 Posts
I source the engine quest timing cover from my local EPWI parts warehouse.

TC460N is the non MAF cover
They also have a MAF cover TC460C available though it is spendy. 3x the cost.

The fit is good, comes with provision for a front dipstick sold separately and has a fuel pump boss and block off plate.

Here is an example sold on Ebay for a pic.

New Ford 429 7 0L 460 7 5L Timing Cover Kit 69 97 TC460N | eBay

Here is an ebay listing for the Cali MAF front cover. It is a modified TC460N but works well.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/NEW-FORD-7-5-460-TIMING-COVER-SENSOR-MOUNT-FOR-California-emissions-94-99-TC460C-/172144436620

S

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
Does anyone know where to get a good quality replacement timing chain cover? Looking for one for my 93 f250 7.5l. Will the older ones work? I've seen the Dorman and pioneer brands but have read some bad reviews on them. The local jy doesn't have any 460's. Any info would be appreciated.

Every aftermarket front cover I have seen is the EARLY cover with the mechanical fuel pump provision in it.
I get the one's I use through Silver Seal but, I don't know who actually is their vendor.

It would certainly be beneficial to find an aftermarket late model 460 front cover supplier.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I ordered the ford racing tc. The only complaints were about the crinkle paint that was used and the fact that some people couldn't figure out that it uses the newer style seal. I'll update on fit and finish when I get it.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So I bought the ford racing cover and it fits perfectly. It even comes with a new water pump plate. No gaskets or seal. No provisions for a crank trigger either. The paint does leave little to be desired but other than that it's as good as factory.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I was looking at picking one of these up. My only question is are the bolt holes the same. Been doing some reading and it seems some aftermarket TC covers have a different sized bottom holes. Just want to be aware if they are and that I'll have to modify. I was looking at the Ford Racing ones but the sound of the finish on them is steering me away from all the reviews.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts