460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Guys,

Need some advice on my D0OE-R headed 514 motor. It's 10.5 to 1 with a lunati 245-255 @ .050 duration lift is 620. Single plane A460 intake with a 850 DP. I run 92 in it race gas seems to make it run hotter. It is a street car 90 percent. I bought this car from a guy that has the timing locked out @ 36 total is this unusual for a bb. When it gets warm it's hard to start, but in it's defense it's turning over alot of motor with the bb reciprocating assembly. The engine ocassionally runs on for a couple seconds.I checked the cranking comp. and it checked at about 170 psi. My question is there anyone with close to this combination. I know the heads are cast iron and should have lower comp. Opinions would be really great.

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Judging by what its doing and experience sounds like it wants more timing, the iron heads NEED a good bit of ignition lead. I ran 42 total with my iron headed pumpgas engine, set the timing where it runs the best and figure out the hot start issue seperately.

P.S. The difference between 36* and 42* was exactly .500 in a 2900# truck with me in it, you do the math.

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
WELL if it runs on its probaly more then that compression, and 92 is not enought oct. and get a start retard for it before you hurt something

·
Registered
211 Posts
my 514 likes about 42 to 43 degrees with the aluminum a429 heads 9.5-1 motor .... i have tried less and it lacks pull .... had it as high as 45* but it didn't like quite that much

every motor is different

·
Registered
3,742 Posts
my 514 likes about 42 to 43 degrees with the aluminum a429 heads 9.5-1 motor .... i have tried less and it lacks pull .... had it as high as 45* but it didn't like quite that much

every motor is different
YUP,Ive got an old one that like's 44 total,locked out

1 - 5 of 5 Posts