460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
746 Posts
HI that's a lot of slop in the chain.. replacing it would put the distributor back inline.. there is tension on the chain when running .. the way you have it posistioned showing the marks lined up there is not tension on ether side..
rotate the motor in the direction of operation and when the crank gets to TDC I'd bet the cam gear is off.. Remember two rotations to bring it back to proper TDC.
Replace the timing gears and chain

·
Registered
746 Posts
HI
I still say timing gear/chain.. I Just re-looked at your picture of the marks lined . if you look real close you well see that the cam gear is not its pointing to the right. With the chain slop your timing is way off.
Replace the timing set..
Double Roller for sure.. If its not a problem now it well be in a few races so since you are in there replace it..

Just looked again and that cam gear is one of those stock PLASTIC gears. looks like a lot of ware..

good luck take care be safe
tim

·
Registered
746 Posts
HI
🐻Bear🐻 with me .. be sure and get a straight up timing set.. looked again and the crank dot does not line up the the crank key.. So its most likely a stock 2* set up.. You'll also pick up some power..

tim

·
Registered
746 Posts
HI oil slinger is the thin washer in front of the crank gear..
as per the back fire.. if you still have the Holley carb.. they don't like back fires.. it tends to blow out the power valve.. and can cause flooding. watch down the carb when you shut it off for a minute .. watch for smoke .. smoke would be raw fuel running into the carb from a blown power valve. since this is a race application they can be removed and a block off bolt added in its place.. from a kit.

tim

·
Registered
746 Posts
HI Here is a link to power valve and a block off kit. not sure if it fits your application just for reference.

tim

1 - 8 of 8 Posts