460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I checked the timing on my race car today. I have a timing light that has the dial. I run 36 total and it was off the dial advanced. It started and ran good. The last run (last weekend) was 10.34 same as always runs in that air. I adjusted it to 36 total (from where it was) and would not stay running. Moved the mark back to about where it was and started and idled fine. The way it was to start with sounds and feels right, but does not show up right on timing mark.
I borrowed a timing light and checked it again and reads the same.
Heres combo:
466 BBF MSD dizzy Comp cam 635 lift solid flat tappet cam, DOVE C heads, etc.
The only thing I have done since last time down track was took off Moroso electric water pump motor and added a pulley to water pump.
Any ideas?
Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
timing

I took a look, it is an SFI and feels tight but I know it can still move. It does have a rubber isolater.
Is the solution a new balancer? I have a stock one, would that be a way to check?

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do you run a MSD box [like a 6a or 6al]? If so, you might try a regular, plain jane timing light instead of the dial back type that you have. Later, Billy

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
timing

I pulled #1 plug and piston is up, but mark seems off a little (about 3/8" to pass side). I pulled pulley and bolt from balancer and looked at key way and looks good. I would like to race this weekend, I think I will order a new balancer (if don't order now will not get here in time) and see if that works.
Is there any thing with dizzy or ign. box that will cause this?
Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Balancer

OK, I received a new balancer today and the old one matches up. So to me, this means that the old balancer is good?
If this is true, what is the next link in the chain? I did take the time to heck dizzy (MSD billet) and everything looks good. I did see that there is about a 1/16" play between turning crank and moving timing chain/dizzy.
I put the old one back on and will start car and check timing tomorrow. Would really like race this weekend, so let me know what you think.
Thanks

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
timimg

Ok, problem solved. It was the springs in distributor, I guess they were fatigued. I thought they looked stretched out, so I put new springs on and timing lined up.
This was a crazy thing. Ran TNT tonight and car ran well, 10.35 @ 129
Thanks for they help.

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
timing

I have an old Seal Street Outlaw 10.5 car
Ladder bar suspension, mini tub, 9" w/ 4.11 gears, sportsman chromemolly cage. Car weighs 2880 w/ me in it. Strange brakes.
BBF w/ c-6 w/ Man. valve body, 4500 converter, foot brake
BBF = dove-c heads ported, roller rockers, Stealth intake w/ 1050 Dominator, 60 over w/ h-beam rods. MSD Dizzy.
I put the small silver springs on dizzy Sat night. same weather as friday and went 10.25 @ 130, 10th faster.
Thanks

·
Registered
586 Posts
I have an old Seal Street Outlaw 10.5 car
Ladder bar suspension, mini tub, 9" w/ 4.11 gears, sportsman chromemolly cage. Car weighs 2880 w/ me in it. Strange brakes.
BBF w/ c-6 w/ Man. valve body, 4500 converter, foot brake
BBF = dove-c heads ported, roller rockers, Stealth intake w/ 1050 Dominator, 60 over w/ h-beam rods. MSD Dizzy.
I put the small silver springs on dizzy Sat night. same weather as friday and went 10.25 @ 130, 10th faster.
Thanks
I LIKE YOUR COMBO! YOURS AND MINE ARE REAL CLOSE,ONLY DIFF IS I HAVE TUNNEL RAM ON MINE WITH TO 800'S DP AND C4 TRANS FULLY GUTTED 93 MUSTANG COUPE WITH 4:30 GEARS(SOON TO BE 3:27'S GOING TO SPRAY 200 SHOT! DON'T KNOW WHAT IT WEIGHTS YET BUT TRYING TO GET IT AT LEASE TO 2650-2750! THOSE BIG BLOCK FORDS ARE SOMETHING ELSE!

·
Registered
122 Posts
Do you run a MSD box [like a 6a or 6al]? If so, you might try a regular, plain jane timing light instead of the dial back type that you have. Later, Billy
Could you explain the reason for this? I need to buy a new timing light and will buy the "plane Jane" if I don't need the high end one.

Thanks,
Joe

·
Registered
247 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
timing light

If you go to the MSD forum it explains the tech. reason for why a Dial back timing light sometimes will not work.
I used both, after replaced springs both worked. If you have a SFI balancer it will have the timing #'s on it.
Good luck

1 - 16 of 16 Posts