460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any body know the size of the stock harmonic balancer on a 460? I want to put msd timing tape on, not sure if its 7 inch or 7.25

·
Registered
350 Posts
A Dorman stock replacement list 6.75, Pioneer 6.62 and FMS 6.625 - best to just measure it.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Does any body know the size of the stock harmonic balancer on a 460? I want to put msd timing tape on, not sure if its 7 inch or 7.25
The damper assembly (harmonic balancer) for the 460 in my 1976 F-250 is part number D4VZ-6316-A. It is approx. 6-5/8" outside diameter.

·
Registered
39 Posts
I recently went through this with my stock 1982 E350 460 remanufactured engine. I used the MSD-8985 timing tape set. I too found nothing but uncertainty over the damper pulley diameter. However, after extensive cleaning of the pulley surface with Brake Cleaner, the timing markings on the pulley were clearly evident. The MSD timing tape has markings for a wide variety of diameters. I cut out the individual diameter strips and and checked the alignment of the 10 degree ATDC and the highest BTDC marking on the pulley and found that the 6.75 diameter set aligned best within the width precision of the timing tape markings.

Getting the timing tape to adhere was a major hassle. Repeated cleanings with the brake cleaner and a microfiber cloth, enhanced with a scrub with a fine emery paper finally gave reasonable stiction. However revving the engine to 3,000 rpm would quickly remove the tape! I finally solved the adherence problem by carefully aligning the tape on the pulley (after recleaning) and then applying several coats of clear enamel over the tape and pulley. The clear coat eliminated the problem.

For better visualization of the timing marker, I coated it with a gold metallic paint that nicely lites up under the timing light. Finally, as described in another post, I have set up a borescope camera to increase the precision of alignment and viewing angle for setting timing for a variety of different engine rpm in the cramped engine compartment of the E350.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts