460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
476 Posts
Look under the hood for the sticker that has vacumn hose routing etc, and it should tell you there. If it's fuel injected and has a spout connector, don't forget to disconnect it first. Timing should be about 10 - 12 initial for that motor.

·
Premium Member
9,031 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
i know this isnt cool but this truck isnt one of my hot rods so i need the maximum fuel economy i can get, should i go more advanced or retarded with my timing

·
Registered
476 Posts
Go with Scott's recurve and set it at 14. Advanced timing will give you the best fuel economy.
I wasn't sure if the 460's were EFI that year or not. 86-88 are about the only year of trucks I haven't owned or worked on. So I wasn't sure if it had Duraspark, or TFI or... :?

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
robm said:
i know this isnt cool but this truck isnt one of my hot rods so i need the maximum fuel economy i can get, should i go more advanced or retarded with my timing
Did you get your carb fixed? That's probably where your fuel is going. If you're seeing black smoke, you're way too rich, from either way too high float level(s), or blown power-valve. If it ever spit back through the carb (typically happens at cold start up and/or retarded timing), it could have blown the power valve.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i don’t think its a blown power valve, i think my idle mixture was set alittle rich and my floats are a little off but not so much so that its over flowing with fuel. i think the previous owner set it like this because i live in Wyoming and cold morning start can be tough to say the least when its 25-30 bellow freezing. the truck runs great and has good power i think i just need to get used to big block fuel milage or lack there of. i know this is probably the wrong thing to say on this sight, but I’m actually swapping a some what hopped up 12 valve Cummins turbo diesel and gear splitter into the truck in the future. and im going to build the 460 alittle and put it into my 32 Model A that tips the scales at 1800 lbs with me in it. im hoping to have an honest 11 second street car that was built on a milk money budget

·
Registered
1,033 Posts
Well I'm not going to rip you for going the turbo-deisel route since I've worked for Caterpillar dealerships for about 26 years now.

A guy I work with has a 71 Chevy 4WD truck with a Cummins that he transplanted in it, and it's a hoss. Very nice truck.... Just wrong brand.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
the 12 valve cummins is a pretty easy swap not much wiring there. And think it would be bad *** with a some big boost and propane injection.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts