460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
147 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
very simple.... the max i ever get is 44kpbs i changed the lead fron the wall socket from a 10meter (length)cable to a 3 meter also pulled out a couple of adapters and it went up to 45.2 not a lot but it all helps hope this helps someone out

·
Registered
2,185 Posts
also...

You may find an improvement by using shielded DSL wire from your phone box all the way to your PC as well; especially if any of your phone wire is running parallel to AC power lines.

I put my DSL modem 3ft from my phone box and used shielded cat5E cable to carry the signal and picked up 230KbPS on a 2500KbPS service; nearly 10%.

B

·
Registered
1,266 Posts
Damn it, phone box is outside, doubt the cheap little modem would like the enviroment. Standard 1972 phone line from box to wall.....

Not bad, but I want MORE

·
Registered
2,021 Posts
have you tried an accelerator? I used to use one on my dialup and it worked great. It would reduce the quality of pictures so they would load faster. You could set how 'reduced' they were and if one loaded and you wanted to see the full (bigger file size) version you could right click and select 'download original'. I liked it a lot. I think net zero has something like that.

stephen

·
Registered
10,854 Posts
I tried a cable modum but, didn't help at all 'cause what I failed to understand at the time was that my computor was still as slow as the dial-up... :shock:
I still use a P133 computor.
Soon to change as I just bought a better and faster computor yesterday. :D

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I actually use a deal from Commspeed.net that is wireless. Just a box that sits near a window and hooks to the pc, no phone line required. I didn't even have anyone come out to install it, picked it up and did it myself. They have a few different speeds, and seems to work good most of the time. I have a few issues when there is heavy rain or snow. Not sure where all it is available, but I am sure most places have something similar.

Tom

1 - 7 of 7 Posts