460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The shop floor......whats the pro's and cons. I have 10 gallons of 2 part apoxy. Is it worth my time?

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The paint was free.......i'm having second thought about it. I may be to parinoid that I'm going to chip it. May wait til i'm finished with my car. I don't know how it will stand up to floor jacks ect.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
The floors at my work are painted with it ,and we run fork trucks and metal across them all day long and they hold up really good . I wish I'd painted mine when it was new.Good luck whatever you do.

·
Premium Member
1,974 Posts
I have never applied this and the only comments I have are based on what I have seen others do.

I think that there are many different brands out there, and not all are equal. It has been my observation that new floors poured of quality concrete with proper prep last the longest. Poor prep or not following directions results in extemely bad experiences. This includes curing times that people don't understand and expect too much, such as: "Can be used in 48 hours..." which to me means "You can walk across it in 48 hours but an engine stand with a 460 rolling across it is gonna make a mess of your new floor if you don't wait a month for it to cure." Old floors that have had oil and trans fluid spilled over them repeatedly for 20 years need not apply :lol:

The best results I have seen done were on a floor that was 5 years old and in very good shape, done by a professional company that spent 3 separate partial days doing prep and cleaning. The worst job I have seen was on a new floor of a new house that never was used, and was done by a professional in 1 working day. 5 days later, hot tires from driving in July in Phoenix lifted 2 tracks on its way into the garage after he was told he could use it in 5-7 days.

Tom

·
Registered
3,790 Posts
Chuck, Remember Epoxy is not like regular paint. IT"S HARD :shock: Just get the floor real clean. You won't regret it. :wink: Goforit. Rick

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
Chuck all i know is that you need to really give that concrete a good acid bath and also prep with a good sealer....... give the company a call and they can give you some good tips on appling there paint :wink:

and on the Tile deal i have dropped alot things on it and have resist cracks and chips ....... we did have to use a special epoxy cement for the tile to some what float over the concrete .....

100% free webcam site! | Awesome chicks and it is absolutely free! | Watch free live sex cam - easy as 1-2-3

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
The paint is from americoat, it's off shore apoxy they use to line tanker cars and concrete. I got from a freind that works @ the rail road, i looked it up on the net. they say it's good stuff also used by the navy. My floor is 6yrs old & oil free. I'm not real sure how far 10gal will go, do you think it will cover a 36x40 shop? Bruno I'd love to tile black & white checker board,but I'd like to make some passes with my car before I'm 40 :)

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
I would look in to the high end homes that have there floor seal with multiple type colors just for choice.There's a lot of companies out there that will do this but will be very pricey. I've had estimates from $3200-$4500 I've had mine done and have not had good results. I used a floor scrubber and concrete cleaner and miretic acid ( spelling) to clean the floor and then dry for 2 days and then apply the epoxy(mix in type) type paint. let it set up for 2 weeks and it still peeled up after the first year but has been on there for for 16 years. then 7 years ago I had professional company strip and redo it and these guy's used a BERH one step paint from Home Depot and after they cleaned and prep (it was done the same way I did it) they put on 3 coats in 2 days then I let it set up for 2 1/2 weeks ( they recommeded 7 days) and the first time I pulled in the garage with the wife's car it lifted. I fought with them and Berh to get some of my money back and the only thing Berh offered was more JUNK paint to replace it.

Ace

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
Declawed69 said:
bruno said:
Just Tile it :wink:

Is that ceramic tile? You did a good job, it looks good. But knowing me I probably drop a hammer or something equally heavy and crack it.
Looks good but how does the cherry pick roll across it. Or your engine stand with the motor on it.

Ace

·
Registered
1,637 Posts
powerstrokeace said:
Declawed69 said:
bruno said:
Just Tile it :wink:

Is that ceramic tile? You did a good job, it looks good. But knowing me I probably drop a hammer or something equally heavy and crack it.
Looks good but how does the cherry pick roll across it. Or your engine stand with the motor on it. Or jacking your car up with a floor jack and trying to move it without cracking the tiles?

Ace

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Thanks keith! I have so much crap going on! I have my brothers car & mine to finish, trying to get one to the bash this year. With that in mind i think I wait til our project are finished. I got out there tonight & started to move things around :x That will change your mind quick. I will keep your tips in mind when I get ready. Powerstroke I feel your pain, after what you paid I'd be sick!

·
Registered
427 Posts
I originally painted my floor, but got tired of touching it up after dropping tools and it chipping so I ended up laying tile down. It's a comercial grade that you see in a lot of department & retail stores. Not really designed for garage floors, but it ended up woking out pretty good.

It's a plastic/asphalt composite that's 3/32"-1/8" thick. The color is solid all the way through.

If I remember correctly, it cost me a little under $400 to do a 23x23 area.

It "will" scratch,....but if you do drop something or gouge it, the color is still there. Here's a couple of pics of when I first put it down. It still looks good 2ys later and has even held up well to my cherry picker, engine stand and a moderate amount of mig welding.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts