460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If you are reading this I was wondering how to easily break it to you that there are people using this board who do not know everything and do not really appreciate getting ridiculed every time they make a mistake or mispell a word or plain old stick there foot in there mouth .This is a place I can go to get away from the rat race but it keeps on coming in .Is it ok to say you saw a part on ebay to help others know it is available without posting a link or not .If you aren't selling it then you are hopefully a member trying to be of help to others .I may be wrong ,but a lot of people are going through hard times and to me it seems a little off the path of encouragement to bash somebody everytime they screw up .Would you like it ?That is my two cents from south carolina ,show me what ya got !!Nick D

·
Premium Member
3,225 Posts
I don't think this is the case, the guys here help those who really want to be helped and have honest questions. There is also some good natured ribbing that takes place, and gets a little carried away once in a while. As far as the E-bay stuff is concerned, yes it is mostly people trying to help others out, but if you are really looking for something and you haven't checked E-bay, you are probably not looking too hard. I'm not coming down on your observations, as they are as you see it. It is merely life and it happens even in our little piece of the web.:) If anyone is offended by the people here, they really need to go over to Yellowbullet and see what can really happen on a forum.:eek:

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
Well, I commented on one of those ebay posts, so I guess I'm included in the criticism.

I only posted to lest him know the rules. There are people trying to abide by the rules, and to have their posts bumped down the list by numerous ebay adds just isn't right.

Personally, I like ebay. I've bought and sold several items there (even though I haven't listed anything for sale there in over a year).

But the point is, that it's just the rules. Chilly decided how he wants it to be, and that's how it is. I don't think anyone means any harm or disrespect by letting peope know.

·
Registered
2,960 Posts
I think guys putting ebay ads on the auction block is hurting people selling things on the block because it moves everything down a notch and gets it off the 1st page. But , I like ebay too and have bought and sold alot of stuff there. I don't have a problem at all with them putting an ebay ad here in chilly's garage to let us all know what's for sell on ebay.We all talk about everything here ,so it shouldn't hurt.I don't know if Chilly would have a problem with it? The ads I've seen put up had some cool parts for sale, and i enjoyed seeing them ,just my 2 cents worth.........Carry on Dudes!!!

·
Registered
285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I do agree ,if you are looking for something you probaly should have looked on ebay also ,I don't mind ribbing ,I did not really ean to just specify that case ,a lot of new guys come on here and get ignored or beat up as soon as they post something .If we are trying to grow this board I think it is important for some old timers who get weary of the same old questions ,that others who do not post as much step up and help em out too.I am not offended in any way about any of this ,just want peace bro!!!!!Actually when I get ribbed I know somebody is paying attention so it does't bother me .I was really trying to start some smack .I appreciate everything Chilly and Jones do to keep this board safe and usable Too!!!!You all have a great saturday ,I have to drive 4 hrs away to pic up a 46 ford coupe body so I will talk at ya tonight ,God Bless ,Nick p.s. nobody commented about the rat race (there aren't any rats on this forum ALL FORD )

·
Registered
242 Posts
ebay ads on auction block

i posted a ebay ad number on the auction block for the guys to see for a set of dooe heads that i would have liked to buy but didnt have the funds, and i watched the item and the next day the bidding started on it from 3 or 4 people, not trying to help the guy sell it, trying to help forum members find hard to find parts.and the ribbing part of the forum can be written with different intentions than how it is taken. i try not to take anythng too serious.i have asked some qustions that seem dumb to the more experienced members, but i just didnt know any better. i know alot more now about the 460 than i knew before, that is for sure.thanks for the info guys, more stupid questions in the future i am sure.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Premium Member
468 Posts
i to, mentioned a couple 460s on ebay on here......but it was to help someone get complete motors that were under 500 bucks.......trying to help people out- i do not know the seller, i do not live by them, i never have met them, i most likely dont care to ever know them........but i figured this is a good place to tell someone to jump on it....and with it being nationwide maybe someone lives local to the seller and can go get it, not even pay shipping.......and get thier project done. if it turns into posting your own ebay ads, as opposed to selling it outright on here.....then complain-- just my opinion on it

·
Registered
334 Posts
EBAY

Yes folks . Some times parts can be cheaper on ebay but WE are ALL strapped on money.If you go to a GAS station and pay 1.89 a gal then if i can tell you where to go buy it for a 1.49 what are you going to do ??? Complain about me telling you this or go buy cheaper.Just a couple months ago on a Victor intake folks wanted 250.00 to 300.00 for it. I got it new off of ebay for 200.00. Another example for COUGAR 1969--on a set of slicks if someone on here was selling them for 30.00 a tire cheaper than Summit you got a deal ,Right. Then if i know someone else who is selling them for buy one get one free and this is a 389.00 total savings--you be glad as hell to know.I see on here alot of times some is looking for something and its on ebay or Racing Junk--I'll pass it on.--Now lets sit down and drink a good glass of Skim Milk and laugh--Puff,Puff ,pass and peace.

·
Registered
5,483 Posts
I think people would be more accepting of posting links to good deals/interesting ebay parts in the Garage section.

·
Premium Member
1,311 Posts
I think people would be more accepting of posting links to good deals/interesting ebay parts in the Garage section.
Better yet, why not have it's own section with the title" Links to items for sale that might help board members" ???

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
I just think you should put the link to the part and not just that long number! What's so bad about helping somebody get a good deal!:confused:

·
Registered
1,303 Posts
Better yet, why not have it's own section with the title" Links to items for sale that might help board members" ???
That's a good ideal but you know a computer bomb will work it's way in there some how and somebody's computer is going to get destroyed:mad::mad::mad:

·
Banned
4,325 Posts
Yes folks . Some times parts can be cheaper on ebay but WE are ALL strapped on money.If you go to a GAS station and pay 1.89 a gal then if i can tell you where to go buy it for a 1.49 what are you going to do ??? Complain about me telling you this or go buy cheaper.Just a couple months ago on a Victor intake folks wanted 250.00 to 300.00 for it. I got it new off of ebay for 200.00. Another example for COUGAR 1969--on a set of slicks if someone on here was selling them for 30.00 a tire cheaper than Summit you got a deal ,Right. Then if i know someone else who is selling them for buy one get one free and this is a 389.00 total savings--you be glad as hell to know.I see on here alot of times some is looking for something and its on ebay or Racing Junk--I'll pass it on.--Now lets sit down and drink a good glass of Skim Milk and laugh--Puff,Puff ,pass and peace.

Hey do what ever you do that makes you feel good..... I support the vendors on this board.

I DO THIS TO HELP CUZ THEY GIVE INFO TO US FOR FREE!

What has Ebay done for you? do they give you free Info on how to build your stuff???? I think not.... You seem to come on here and ask all kinds of questions and get free info, but are a little tight so you go find cheaper place to get your parts.....
What ever floats your boat... I know when I buy parts here I get what I was promised. Not take my chances with other places. I have got some good and some bad. thats why I choose here now. Burned a few times....

I understand a bargain is good, just most time you get what you pay for.... and sometimes what seems like a bargain is not so...

Randy

·
Registered
1,115 Posts
My .02 cents :O)

Ok, I understand that the vendors are here to help. I also understand that a deal is a deal. But I dont think it should be posted in the for sale section. But I think they should be posted.

A "Ebay/Craigslist section" is not a bad idea. For example: some one linked me to a set of Brand New forged SRP piston and Brand new JE total seal rings....New price is over 680 from basically anywhere: My price shiped 375! Not a bad deal. Do i wish I could spend my money just with vendors here: Absolutely! But I can not afford that all the time! My rods are from waypastcrazy, my cam and lifter are from carl. my oil pan is from jrbeane, my carb is from dfree, my headers and motor mounts are from bbfcapri(Charlie)....But alot is from a from a local parts guy, and one or two from ebay.

I

·
Registered
2,673 Posts
X2 on what Randy said. I can understand that people are hurting, I'm hurting, but let's support "us". If the vendors on here are a couple dollars more, then save for an extra week or two. You'll know you're going to be getting the "right" part. I know of one vendor who takes the time to inspect the parts and make sure there is no obvious defects, and who bends over backwards to make sure everything is good. Some of the people selling parts on Ebay have no idea what they're selling. It's just a part number to them. The vendors on here care about their customers and their reputation. See what kind of customer service you get when you have a problem. I'd rather it be a vendor here, than some young idiot, not having a clue between a Chevy 350 and a Ford 460.

Dave

·
Registered
690 Posts
Im sure most can say the same but...

Nothing Ive bought for this new motor could be had elsewhere cheaper to include Jegs Summit and Ebay. I mostly have Lem Joe Mayabb and Carl (Carsbycarl) to thank for this but also several others with very nice used parts and services. Everything on my 521 with the exception of the block itself was bought through the auction block. As a small business owner I believe 10000% in supporting other small business'.

I agree with Randy as well....what has any other site done for you? Im sure my nonstop repetitive PMs, emails and phone calls at some point became a chore but no question Ive ever asked was ever replied with a smart *** or condescending answer from any member of this site. I think theyve all bent over backwards to help me build this engine right the first time and I whole heartedly appreciate it.

...steps down off soap box.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Im sure the people who have helped me would do so even if I never spent the first dime with them.

My question to you is if a cam from Jegs is $200 and you can get it from a vendor for $180...why not? On top of that, will Jegs answer a cam degreeing question at 9pm on a Friday night or help you make the correct cam choice in general?

1 - 20 of 47 Posts