460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is this cam kit too much for a stock C6 converter?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk34-238-4

I'm pretty confident I found a set of heads that will support this cam and I'm already planning on fixing the -8 timing so I may as well do the cam while I'm there.

Vehicle is a '79 F100 with C6 and 3.50's out back. Stock lower end and the heads I'm looking at buying are D3's with larger valves and slight porting. Also looking at the Performer RPM intake and a Holley 750.

Thanks!

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
Is this cam kit too much for a stock C6 converter?

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/cca-sk34-238-4

I'm pretty confident I found a set of heads that will support this cam and I'm already planning on fixing the -8 timing so I may as well do the cam while I'm there.

Vehicle is a '79 F100 with C6 and 3.50's out back. Stock lower end and the heads I'm looking at buying are D3's with larger valves and slight porting. Also looking at the Performer RPM intake and a Holley 750.

Thanks!

With static c/r under 8 to 1 and that camshaft you will hurt bottom end torque and move your peaks up about 450 rpm.

We use a factory high stall converter with a similar cam we grind for our 450 hp engine.

SJ
used 2 be RHP

:D

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
With static c/r under 8 to 1 and that camshaft you will hurt bottom end torque and move your peaks up about 450 rpm.

We use a factory high stall converter with a similar cam we grind for our 450 hp engine.

SJ
used 2 be RHP

:D
So that's a yes then? Got a recommendation of a cam that is better?

·
Premium Member
8,724 Posts
So that's a yes then? Got a recommendation of a cam that is better?

The cam though it does not offer enough exhaust timing imo is not the problem.

The lack of static c/r relative to the cam choice is a problem.

Small chamber heads will get you to about 9 to 1. Flat top pistons would get you a bit higher.

A shorter duration cam in conjunction with the D3's would work as well.

You would be surprised at how well the stock cam works with the early straight up timing set and a properly sorted ignition curve.

This type of application tends to do better with the performer intake and a jomar power cone spacer.

SJ

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the reply. I'm definitely doing the straight up timing. I was just thinking with the heads off and I'm already there would I gain by replacing the factory cam. I'm completely new to the 460. I know compression is where it's at but have been unable to find a set of smaller chamber heads that are ready to go in my price range. Also my local shop doesn't want to do any porting.

·
Registered
516 Posts
YES to everything "The Mad Porter" said in his above post. I personally have done 2 of them as lined out above and with the addition of headers and a free flowing 2 1/2" exhaust the engines performed very strong.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
So I've been on here reading old posts for days now...trying to learn as much as I can.

The heads are on there way from California. The moron in me is telling me to buy once, cry once. The "budget" idea has been tossed. I may not have the funds that I have now in the future so I'm just gonna try do it right without going broke in the meantime.

That being said... with the heads off, I'm going to be looking at those sad pistons...those very sad less than 8:1 pistons. So I started pricing kits when someone put the idea in my head to stroke the dang thing. I was intrigued because I've never built a stroker motor before. So now I'm looking at stroker kits. Why? Because I can that's why. Buy once, cry once... Plus it will feel so good to tell my friend that their 454 is cute next to my 521, lol. So I'm going to just bite the bullet I think and get a Scat kit for 521, custom cam (@The Mad Porter; I'll be calling you) and a new converter.

Attached is where this heart is going to end up. I appreciate y'all helping me and if I can I'll try to scan thru the vendor section here for when I need to get the parts.

Attachments

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I have the opportunity to pick up a C6 with a 2400 stall converter. Good or bad idea for the street/strip?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts