460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We are heading out Bowling Green KY to look for a house tonight so I added a few toys to the truck to make the ride better for use :wink:

·
Registered
1,371 Posts
NICE. I know what you DON'T do for a living...I cant wait to get out of debt and have nice stuff.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
richter69 said:
you might but does the tranny?
I have talked to a lot of poeple about the tuner/chips and so on and someone always has something bad to say about each one ! I want with this one because 4 very close friends of mine have them on there 7.3's and all love it and haven't had any problems with them . I don't run it on the 5 "race" and 6 "extreme" tunes so it isen't bad on the trans . I run the tow tune which is only a extra 45hp and I think 75tq and the Drive tune which is a extra 55hp and 100 tq . If something goes rong with that much extra power then there was a problem there to begin with "not the box".

Lew

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
I'm not dissing the box, but if you dont match the shift timing with the added power the clutches wont live, even on lower settings.

Its not the box's fault, just the added power.

Thats a nice rig man, I didnt mean to come off putting it down, I just seen too many issues with the guys throwing to power adders on there and not addressing the tranny.

Soon after it takes a dump and then the tranny is to blame.

get you a good accumulator body in there, bigger cooler and it will be fine. Big trailers like that are harder on it with more power than blasting down the drag strip.

The tranny is set up real tame from the factory, if they built it like it needs to be to live the customer would complain its too rough. They dont want to feel the shifts, so Ford sets it up this way to prevent complaints. So at best its marginal with the stock power, add the power and now you will have issues.

I've been into way too many of them, I know what goes on in there.

·
Registered
807 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
richter69 said:
I'm not dissing the box, but if you dont match the shift timing with the added power the clutches wont live, even on lower settings.

Its not the box's fault, just the added power.

Thats a nice rig man, I didnt mean to come off putting it down, I just seen too many issues with the guys throwing to power adders on there and not addressing the tranny.

Soon after it takes a dump and then the tranny is to blame.

get you a good accumulator body in there, bigger cooler and it will be fine. Big trailers like that are harder on it with more power than blasting down the drag strip.

The tranny is set up real tame from the factory, if they built it like it needs to be to live the customer would complain its too rough. They dont want to feel the shifts, so Ford sets it up this way to prevent complaints. So at best its marginal with the stock power, add the power and now you will have issues.

I've been into way too many of them, I know what goes on in there.
When I get back next week I'll talk to you more about getting the trans/shift points setup better :wink:

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
So Mr. Richter if I am hearing you right I should be able to convince my local dealer to adjust my tranny to live longer if I am willing to live with a little bit harsher shifting?

I would like to add a chip to my 05 6.0 liter but have heard a lot of rumours.

btw: can they do anything with the wimpy stock positraction unit or should I just buy a complete upgraded center section?

dkp

·
Registered
6,392 Posts
Its not really a dealer thing, more of a gearhead deal. The 6.0 is a different animal, the old style edge is a sure bet the tranny will go south. The 5r110 is a better unit overall and will put up with a small amount of power added, but it has to adapt to it.

·
Registered
6,970 Posts

·
Registered
6,970 Posts
1 - 17 of 17 Posts