460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
460 is at the machine shop. i expect it will dyno at 400 hp and 500 ft lbs torque or close anyway. i am going to run a c6 trans and 3.25 gears. i know traction is going to be an issue. tires are 255 60 r15. what can i do to help this truck hook up a little. i got some time before i get it installed and just want to do my homework. thanks for any input i really apreciate the wealth of knowledge on this site and enjoy learning abut these engines!

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Really depends on how much you want to spend. About the most cost effective way would be Cal-tracs. Don't get me wrong though a good tracion bar can be very helpful. With them properly installed the adhesion of the tires will be your limitation.

·
Registered
211 Posts
I agree cal tracs or a good traction bar. If you dont drive it too much try the Et Streets they hook real nice, I run them on my 79. A detroit truetrac or full detroit locker would be my choice for the rear end

I run a truetrac in my superduty it works real well I have killed both rear tires equally and left identical marks on the road LOL

·
Registered
724 Posts
traction

You might look and see if "No Limit Engineering" has a ladder bar suspension for your truck. I use their ladder bar on my 1955 F100 , its made to work with the factory leaf spring set up, and is a bolt on deal. It uses a 32" bar with a floating front pin, so it shocks the suspension similar to the way the "Cal-Tracs" bar does. Its worked out well, no wheel hop, and launches straight, hooks hard.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Mickey Thompson drag radials, traction bars and a detroit locker, Randy.
Yep,That will do it.
Currently I'm running 315/60 E.T. streets,spool,and the "gasser" bars from S&W.Just have to know the roads and watch the weather when I take it out.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
as far as detroit lockers go do you mean the truetrac or detroit locker. they both carry that name on eatons website and on summit

·
Registered
5 Posts
Big Daddy, I have a very similar combo as yours, but mine is a '78 F-150 LWB with factory helper springs on top, no traction bars, 3.25 Detroit Locker rearend-not true trac(that is a limited slip), and M/T ET drag radials-P275/60-R15. My truck weighs 4,860 pounds makes similar horsepower as yours and runs the quarter regularly 1.89 60ft and 13.50'[email protected] No spinning but it helps to have a good VHT-prep track like ours down here in South Louisiana.
Hope this helps.

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have home made set of bars on my 77 longbed that I loosly based off of the rancho bars on my first gen lightning. I can get you some pics if you would want, I have about $25 in steel and bushings in them and old truck cut some 1.58 60' on motor.....on 10" slick....

·
Registered
223 Posts
HI, I will have closer to 500hp and a little more torque. My vehicle will be 99.9 % street driven, BUT....before I make it heavier,(it's a '56 panel truck), with full interior, sound deadener, a/c, etc., I think it would be cool to take it to the track and get some pics and video. It will have a C6 and probably 3.25 gears. My questions are: 1) Do you guys like the 3.25s for street driving and can a Locker be driven on the street (lots of turning)? Currently it has 2.75 open 9" 28 spline...I know, I know, but I got a great deal on it. Pardon the hijack:eek:,
thanks,
James

·
Registered
190 Posts
answers

HI, I will have closer to 500hp and a little more torque. My vehicle will be 99.9 % street driven, BUT....before I make it heavier,(it's a '56 panel truck), with full interior, sound deadener, a/c, etc., I think it would be cool to take it to the track and get some pics and video. It will have a C6 and probably 3.25 gears. My questions are: 1) Do you guys like the 3.25s for street driving and can a Locker be driven on the street (lots of turning)? Currently it has 2.75 open 9" 28 spline...I know, I know, but I got a great deal on it. Pardon the hijack:eek:,
thanks,
James
If you have a locker that unlocks both directions they work great for the street. There is a locker that only unlocks to the left{ Nascar I suppose } I have found 3.50 to be a great street gear, but a 3.25 will be fine. If you have to buy this stuff go with bigger axles, that way when you build that stroker motor, you know you will, you'll be ready, Randy.

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
truetrac was the one i am looking at as it sends power to the wheel not spinning however i realize it is not as strong as a locker. those pics would be nice. looks like im on the right track thoug i thing this truck will come in around the 3800lb mark. got a while before i do the diff and yes i will buy the big axles! thanks!

·
Registered
120 Posts
I have 4.11's, welded spiders,stock axles and run 11's and drive on street.....its all about what you want....

1 - 13 of 13 Posts