460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently built an outlaw 8.5 car and installed my drivetrain combo into it. I had my tranny guy mix up some thin fluid to try to help with the parastatic loss. Unfortunately I think I went the wrong way.

This is probably a dumb question but could the fluid hurt ET or MPH in the 1/8 considering it had 18% slip? I'm guessing yes!!

The car hooked but didn't 60 ft and was way off on what it used to run. This was the first race on the new combo and did not expect it to run a number but the drivetrain was out of my old car and was hoping to at least be in the ballpark. The car was off 3.5 tenths and 6 MPH.

·
Registered
5,676 Posts
Here's me thinking that a lighter viscosity fluid will shear easier in the converter and give more converter slip. Not to mention the possible loss of pressure to hold the clutch packs engaged.....
Rob

·
Registered
1,329 Posts
I highly doubt it has anything to do with that much slippage.........I went the opposite way this past weekend, going from hyguard to lightweight redline, and picked up 400 rpm, and the same slippage ????

This is with a glide/515 a-headed deal.

I'm thinking you have stall issues.......

·
Registered
276 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I highly doubt it has anything to do with that much slippage.........I went the opposite way this past weekend, going from hyguard to lightweight redline, and picked up 400 rpm, and the same slippage ????

This is with a glide/515 a-headed deal.

I'm thinking you have stall issues.......
Well the only thing that has changed in the drivetrain is the fluid! This drivetrain went 5.35 @ 132 in the previous car which was 50lbs heavier.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts