460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy, got this truck turning over first time every time now. 1996 7.5 EFI short cab long bed RWD

still want to service the trans and rear diff for this set upright now, as it seems it’s leaking out of every pore it’s got.
Someone said it got rebuilt. The PO said he never rebuilt it

it’s got 310’000 miles to me

what trans do I have? Is there somewhere I can read the stamp. The vin and the plate doesn’ttell me anything besides it’s automatic

what would be the proper service guidelines for servicing the trans on a high mileage truck.

·
Registered
578 Posts
Trans is an E4OD.In my opinion.if the fluid looks and smells good and it shifts ok,don't mess with it.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Trans is an E4OD.In my opinion.if the fluid looks and smells good and it shifts ok,don't mess with it.
the fluid looks good nice red and clean, just finding a lot on the floor. Not sure if it’s oil cooler line or what. Looks like the rear main seal or the transmission belhousing

don’t know too much about auto trans missions

·
Registered
578 Posts
If it's red,the leak is probably the pump seal.Trans removal is necessary to repair.Those seals are notorious for leaking and a new improved seal is available. Leak stop additive doesn't work.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
If it's red,the leak is probably the pump seal.Trans removal is necessary to repair.Those seals are notorious for leaking and a new improved seal is available. Leak stop additive doesn't work.
great info I appreciate it and will look more into that. Here are some more photos I grabbed while I was dropping off parts at the warehouse looking for the oxygen sensors and I’ll probably pressure wash the trans and engine underside tomorrow or today

i think it might be the rear main seal also

·
Registered
578 Posts
Looks like engine oil but hard to tell because of the dirt.Clean it off as good as you can and put a piece of white paper under it to catch the drips.Report back.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts