460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
397 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Long story short, I hurt the trans in my bronco after 3 years of running it, and actually not many passes on it. I thought just the pump went bad, took it to a guy in town that does Ford trannies, was going to have him just throw a pump in it. Guy calls me and tells me to stop over, I do, he shows me that all is not well inside. The trans was a full roller race trans, and it has all the roller bearings in it, but the band is stock, not Kevlar, and the clutches are not the race style, more an upgraded stock style. I had to call the guy that built it to get 2 of the roller bearings that were not looking so good, and I mentioned to him what was going on. He went ballistic on the phone, cussed me out and was all bent out of shape, because I questioned him on the band and the clutches, and because I was letting someone else mess around with "his" trans.
At this point, I really don't want to bring my C-6 back to him to work on because of how he treated me, but I don't know what to do otherwise or who to trust.
I'd appreciate any advice or input on how I should handle this. If I could find somebody on the forum, hopefully close to Michigan, that could put it back together, that would be great. Sorry for the novel, just had to get it out :)

·
Registered
2,286 Posts
Kevlar bands don't grip as well as a stock type band (of the same width). Unless you anticipate a lot of band slippage anyway, it's usually better to stay away from the Kevlar. It's tough, just not grippy.

·
Registered
545 Posts
2nd for Broader. BTW, you don't always need all that fancy stuff in a trans if it's set up right. A regular set of Alto clutches and a good stock band will get it done. In my 500HP capable C4, I use a Broader carbon band, stock rear band, Alto clutches and kolene steels.

There is no excuse for the way that trans guy treated you, I wouldn't go back to him either.

·
Registered
6,697 Posts

·
Registered
900 Posts
C6

Hey pro I have a buddy hes in Brighton Mich I'm sure he could hook you up. Hes the only person I'll let touch my stuff or frank merkel on the forum. Jim has built several trans for me no problems, If you wan't his # Its 810-923-0522 ask for Jim. Joe

1 - 9 of 9 Posts