460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I am building a 466 powered 1993 Mustang convertible.

Here is what is looked like when I brought it home. Looked a little rough, but if you squint real hard, you can see the potential.

Progress started.

Fresh paint. Getting closer.

Hopefull done with paint this next weekend.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
A little update. Paint work in nearly complete.

Well it seemed like I would never find all the GT pieces that werent either ripped or damaged in some way, but with a little patience, I finally collected them all and got them painted.

[I have began assembling the 466, but working 7 days a week, it has been a slow process.
I have next weekend off, so I hope I am able to get at least the shortblock assembled and painted. Finally picked up a set of C9VE heads that came off a running engine. Lucky thing is I only paid $100 for them. Going to port/polish them and have the Cobra Jet sized valves and double springs installed next week.
I am getting anxious to get this together and drive it before it gets too cold.
Winter is not too far off and Convertibles dont like the cold.
I may try and get the 8.8 3.73 posi rearend I picked up in this weekend too.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 · (Edited)
Well, I finally have a few days off work. Haven't had much time to get anything done lately. Gonna hit it hard this weekend. Working 70 hour weeks really puts a damper on the project...but it is extra $$.
Here is the shortblock almost assembled.

Got the heads ported and off to the machine shop for final assembly.

Picked up another hood for extra clearance, maybe I can run the Stealth intake now. Will have to see. Got my fingers crossed.

NEW PARTS!! All shiny and no grease...yet

Now to get this out and all the new goodies in...

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Well I finally got some more work done on the old car.

Out with the old and in with the new.

Looks a lot different when its naked underneath.

Got as far as I could on the shortblock. The machine shop has been slooooow.
They do good work, just dont move too fast.

Got the heads back from the shop.......finally. New stainless Cobra jet valves, hardened seats,springs, and the whole works. The shop complimented me on my port/polish job.

Stayed up late one evening to get the longblock assembled.

This is the Granatelli Motorsports "K" member and tubular "A" arm assembled. Almost hated to reinstall the old power steering rack. Should have sprung for a Flaming River rack. May still do that later.

Engine compartment ready for the heart transplant.

Got the engine set in for mock up. Wanted to check the fit and how much clearance there was here and there.

Engine sets down nice and low in the chassis and was suprisingly easy to get in.

Looks like plenty of space for brackets/pumps to clear the radiator.

I have a whole week off at Christmas. I hope to get alot done. Have alot of parts sitting around my office. Still hoping to get the 5 or 6 speed stuff figured out. I really want to get a stick in the car. I like shifting them gears.

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I did go with the quicktime bellhousing. I am just about ready to fire the engine now. I bought a new starter for a 77 up truck, but the starter is hitting the flywheel.
I used the flywheel that Quicktime recommended.
What starter are you using? I see there are 2 different starters. One that is 9 teeth and 4 1/2 inches and one that is 9 teeth and 4 inches. I have the first of the two. I cant turn the engine over with the starter in place. If I take the starter out, engine turns over good.
The flywheel is for a 1984 F350 460 with a 12 inch clutch. 180 teeth. This is what Quicktime recommended. The starter is for the same. Any ideas?
I think I will call Quicktime again tomorrow and ask them what they think.

· Premium Member
830 Posts
Great job you have done well, and you're making it look so easy, I would love to drop a 460 in a fox body, but I have a parking problem already. If only my neighbors would move.lol Keep the updates coming.

D

· Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Its finally getting close to a finish....at least for now.
Here is what it looks like currently. I need to finish the tailpipes/mufflers and figure out how I want to do the cooling fans.
Oh, and I am pulling my hair figuring out how to use the original tach in the dash with my MSD box.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.