460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I plan to order a transmission drum shield, any brands to avoid? Which type/brand do you favor? This is for a TH400 (with JW bell), but I'd like to hear what guys have used on other trannys too. There doesn't seem to be any info in the archives.

·
Registered
1,960 Posts
If you have the JW bell on the TH400, don't get the CSI Ultrashield (flexplate+case shields in one piece) because it won't clear the beefier JW bell or it's extra ears.

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Dave, since the JW bell is an SFI approved flexplate shield, I was thinking more along the lines of the aluminum shields that just cover the drum area, the more compact the better.

T

·
0 Posts
Scott, I have used TCI & Coan trans shields & for the most part, they are tit for tat. I did like the Coan a little better just of the way they did their pan straps. It made it a little easier to get the pan off. Especially since I was changing trans fluid/filter every 15-20 passes. :lol:

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It did, from looking at the units offered in Jegs, Coan, TCI, B&M and what not, they all appear very similar, but sometimes a seemingly small difference can be a pain in the ***.

T

·
0 Posts
The TCI shield I had, I had to take either 2 or 4 bolts w/nuts off to drop the two pan straps. The Coan was a single strap just wider & all I had to do was remove 2 socket head capscrews from threaded holes to drop it. I know I am splitting hairs but it was simpler. Now that I have a JW bell & case w/o any shields that makes it really nice. But I have switched from Valvoline conventional fluid , changing it every 15-20 passes to Amsoil synthetic & I had 60 passes on the fluid when I had to take the trans/converter out. The Amsoil smelled & looked like new. Coan Engineering recommended it & I have to admit it holds up alot better. I might be able to get a season out of one fluid change. I sure don't miss changing trans fluid all the time. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, synthetic seems like a logical choice given the heat these tranny's see, perhaps I'll give the Amsoil a try as well, they make a good product.
I have the JW bell, but will be running a factory GM TH400 case, not sure when it's a requirement to run the drum sheild, but I should have enough power I want one.

T

·
0 Posts
It is 10.99 or quicker for the trans shield. On the Amsoil, get the Universal Trans Fluid. Coan says it works better than the Amsoil racing trans fluid. :D

·
Registered
508 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'll give that Amsoil a try. I'm figuring low 10's, so I guess I need and want the drum sheild.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts