460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 565 ci BBF 981hp and 797ft lbs all in a 2002 Mustang 3650 lbs, wih ich transmission will hold-up 2pg or t400 Hoping 9.0 or 8.90

·
Registered
5,319 Posts
If you can deal with the weight, C6

That's a tough call because of the high weight AND high horsepower. What's wrong with a C6 if you're going to run a 400 turbo and you can deal with the weight? Matt Heady(the guy who does the tranmissions for Doug Noelke's monster truck) says that the C6 is the strongest automotive transmission if built correctly. I tend to agree with him because his transmissions hold up very well behind at least 1200 horsepower of blown alky. He says that a 400 Turbo isn't as suited to high horsepower as the C6 is, again if built correctly..

The nice thing about the turbo trans is that torque converters are easy to come by in that style, so that's a real plus. This is a tough question for sure... I guess the thing to do is build the Powerglide and see how it holds together, it is what's probably the cheapest.

·
Registered
1,658 Posts
One interesting thing is nobody on this site seems to have ever used the Coan 3-speed. It is suppose to be their own creation from what I understand. Do you know of anybody who has?

I have heard bad things about the power robbing of TH-400's just like the C6. Unlike the C6 everybody I know who put in a 400 took it back out and went to a glide. I am a C4 fan, but it is not good for your power level.

I think your option is glide or C6 and stay away from the Th-400

·
Registered
474 Posts
jpierce55 said:
One interesting thing is nobody on this site seems to have ever used the Coan 3-speed. It is suppose to be their own creation from what I understand. Do you know of anybody who has?

I have heard bad things about the power robbing of TH-400's just like the C6. Unlike the C6 everybody I know who put in a 400 took it back out and went to a glide. I am a C4 fan, but it is not good for your power level.

I think your option is glide or C6 and stay away from the Th-400
We use a tranny very similar to the Coan 3 speed, in fact Coan was working with the builder we bought ours from to develop the transmission. The latest iteration of the Coan three speed has some nice features that could make them attactive in an application of high HP and heavy weight. They have a huge selection of ratios. They are not quite as efficient as a PG, but better than pretty much anything else.

Oops, almost forgot, unless they've changed it, there is no "park" in these trannys. There is no physical room for the park mechanics in the case once they are modified.

http://www.coanracing.com/Catalog.asp?ProductLine=3SPEED2

·
Registered
872 Posts
I went with a t400 in a 3600# car and 966 hp / 851 ft-lb for several reasons.

First - no one I talked to would tell me a c-6 would make bracket season w/o being re-lined. 250+ passes. Something to do with stopping and starting a 30# drum twice in one pass. I told a lie - one person did, but it would cost $200 in shipping if I had problems.

Second - I run no-electronics which down here means no transbrake. This effectively requires me to run a low first gear to "set" the car. Out goes the high dollar glide

Third - I have heard a c-4 gets inconsistent quick under high weight and HP.

Guess I'll find out this season

·
Registered
359 Posts
Hold Up?

Well, you asked which tranny would "hold up" - I think both the TH400 and PG will last, if built properly. With the heavier car, however, I'd recommend a TH400, unless all you are concerned with is consistency.

I've got 800 hp and a fairly heavy '67 Fairlane (3566 pounds with driver) with a transbrake C4. Hope I can get it thru the season with the C4. Plan is to replace it with a TH400.

Just my $.02...

Scott

1 - 7 of 7 Posts