460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone running a Trasmission Specialties 8" spragless converter? I've been doing some converter research and this is one of the ones I'm considering. They are recommending a 6000 stall for my footbrake application.

G

·
I don't have that converter but I haven't had any probs using a C-6 converter in my C-4 tranny from them!

Les

·
Registered
1,054 Posts
call A-1 in Calif and talk to Marv, he's really up on that stuff and at least get a second price and opinion. they relocated to washington state.

A-1 racing transmission (360) 574-9966

good luck

·
Registered
519 Posts
This may not apply but I ran an entry level TSI 3000 stall converter on my Torino 521 and it blew the stator/turban fins thru the trans on the third hard run after the engine was broke in. The car had street tires on it and failed on the street. The converter was new. Probably just built wrong?
Consider Jay at Broader Performance, he builds them. He will also stand behind his work and hit the number.

·
Registered
401 Posts
tsi converter

i run a tsi spragless 8-in converter for 3 yrs, it will run the number but it will cost you 3 tenths and 3-4 mph on top end.we switched to a ati treemaster this year from the richmond fun ford race to bristol race.we picked up .30 and 3mph at a much higher altitude. both converters worked good but the ati was quicker.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Transmission specialites

I have an C-6, 8 in spragless from them, 514ci, about 800hp in a 3000lbs 69 Fairlane and the converter does not seem to lock up very well on the top end. If I stay with the C-6 I may go to a 9 or 10 inch converter next. Hope this helps

·
Premium Member
1,957 Posts
Dave D said:
Consider Jay at Broader Performance, he builds them. He will also stand behind his work and hit the number.
x2, I am running Jay's converter in my Torino, and he did in fact hit the number and the converter works great.

He has a number of mods which improve oil flow through the converter, which means more oil flows through the cooler......which means a cooler running trans.

http://www.broaderperformance.com

·
Registered
182 Posts
www.bradcoconverters.com

that guy is local and is a one man business he will make it right if it isnt when u get it back .. we just cut apart a 10 inch tci to see if anything was in there i can reuse for my nitrous converter front cover was good but insides was a different story and the thing was way out of balance like u wouldnt believe it shouldnt have even made it out of the factory ...

he also gave a guy a converter 3-4 years ago for sponsorship guy never used it sent it back had him restall it for a new comdo never used it sent it back again for a restall for another combo then after having it a year he finally put it in and what do u know picked up 2 tenths and few mph guy is top runner now..

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Jon I haven't ruled out Ultimate.

richter69 said:
http://www.ultimateconverter.com/
Don't worry Jon. Ultimate is still in the running, I'm just doing my research. A lot of local guys run Transmission Specialties with good results and I hadn't heard anything bad about them yet. Wondering if there is anything wrong with the spragless deal. They did quote a 6000 stall for me which seems a bit high compared to what everyone else has quoted. Most were in the 4800-4900 range. They're a few hundred cheaper than the others so I'm wondering what the differences are.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
i happen to have one of thier units sitting new in a box waiting. it is their so called heavy duty low stall ten inch model. who makes or asseembles them for them or do they do it thier selves? thanks bobn

·
Registered
182 Posts
zep bradco is in house one man shop so the quality is great as his name is on the line... if u already have a converter he can possible reuse some of it to save ya some cash... he can do spragless /bolt together or what ever ya want.. just took a tci 10 inch over there to see if anything was reuseable for my new engine.. luck have it with a restall and steel stator upgrade ill be good to go but in the form that i got it from tci was terrible.. from what i seen once we cut it open ill steer anyone away from them.. in the past i used PTC with great luck also..

·
Registered
385 Posts
when should a spragless converter be used and when should it be avoided?

·
Registered
6,391 Posts
run a spragless when you keep breaking sprags.................or like 2000 hp application etc.

The only down side to running a spragless with less power is it will be slower than a sprag type.

·
Registered
258 Posts
All combinations are different.......I used a spragless converter from George Rupert....the Alky guy.....I can't remember the brand...... my car picked up. Trans specialties will tell you that the more power you make the more abuse the sprag takes and the 60 ft will fluctuate thus having to re-fress the converter all the time. The sprag-less deal you will not break or have to re-fresh because of the sprag......you would only re-fresh for bearings and to check....more than likely I only picked up because this converter had a tighter stall speed that my engine liked.....TS will tell you that you will slow down if you do not have a lot of torque.....spragless converters love torque.....So all in all don't expect to pick up....go spragless for consistency period. :wink:

Hope this helps

1 - 20 of 21 Posts