460 Ford Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

First post, so please be gentle lol. Hope I'm in the right sub forum.

My son and I picked up a 65 Galaxie that we are building in vintage NASCAR (Gurney) style. Currently has a 390/auto in it. Future plans are for a 460/532 swap with a 5 speed. This is my first Ford build, and I've never had a Tremec, but I'm pretty sure I want a TKO. My question is, are these the same transmissions found in Mustangs? I was under the impression that the TKO was aftermarket "universal" unit but searching for used ones I see them out of Mustangs etc. Is this the same TKO you can buy new?

Thanks in advance for the info. We are having a blast with the build
Car Tire Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle
so far.

Red & Ryan Jensen
Ol' Danny 65 Galaxie

·
Registered
494 Posts
I would skip over the TKO or TKX and go right to a Magnum 6spd. The Magnum will cost you more but it’s a much more stout transmission and has a higher torque rating. The TKX is the new TREMEC 5spd that fixed a lot of the issues with the TKO.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would skip over the TKO or TKX and go right to a Magnum 6spd. The Magnum will cost you more but it’s a much more stout transmission and has a higher torque rating. The TKX is the new TREMEC 5spd that fixed a lot of the issues with the TKO.
Thanks. I aware of the TKO and Magnum, but I'm afraid that those are out of the budget.

Red

·
Registered
494 Posts
A TKO was never offered from the factory in any vehicle. If you try to use a T5 behind a BB it will be short lived, i believe the max torque capacity for a T5 was 335 or 350 ft/lbs.

If you can live without OD a Toploader is a better bet than a T5.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A TKO was never offered from the factory in any vehicle. If you try to use a T5 behind a BB it will be short lived, i believe the max torque capacity for a T5 was 335 or 350 ft/lbs.

If you can live without OD a Toploader is a better bet than a T5.
Thanks, that clears up some of my confusion. I really do want an OD though. The plan is some freeway cruising to some shows etc.

Red

·
Registered
494 Posts
Well if you’re familiar with Coral.net I’d start there if you’re looking for a used TKO or Magnum. Find a trans before you buy a bellhousing or clutch so that you don’t waste $$ on a component you can’t use. In no way shape or form is this gonna be cheap, I have a 64 Galaxie that I drove for several summers with a mild 466 and TKO. Currently it’s torn apart but when it goes back together the built AFR headed 547 will be attached to a Magnum.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you’re familiar with Coral.net I’d start there if you’re looking for a used TKO or Magnum. Find a trans before you buy a bellhousing or clutch so that you don’t waste $$ on a component you can’t use. In no way shape or form is this gonna be cheap, I have a 64 Galaxie that I drove for several summers with a mild 466 and TKO. Currently it’s torn apart but when it goes back together the built AFR headed 547 will be attached to a Magnum.
Thanks I'll check it out. I just scored this for my stroker build.

Red

Attachments

·
Registered
14 Posts
Hey all!

First post, so please be gentle lol. Hope I'm in the right sub forum.

My son and I picked up a 65 Galaxie that we are building in vintage NASCAR (Gurney) style. Currently has a 390/auto in it. Future plans are for a 460/532 swap with a 5 speed. This is my first Ford build, and I've never had a Tremec, but I'm pretty sure I want a TKO. My question is, are these the same transmissions found in Mustangs? I was under the impression that the TKO was aftermarket "universal" unit but searching for used ones I see them out of Mustangs etc. Is this the same TKO you can buy new?

Thanks in advance for the info. You can find best online canadian slots at https://know2day.com. Get free spins or welcome bonus for registration and enjoy the game. We are having a blast with the build View attachment 92669 so far.

Red & Ryan Jensen
Ol' Danny 65 Galaxie
Nice choice! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Nice find with the Dove block. The other OD option is an overdrive unit mounted to the back of the trans, probably the same price in the end as an aftermarket OD manual but it’s an option.

·
Registered
119 Posts
Stangs used a TR3550 trans... the "almost a TKO" from Tremec. I like the TKO behind a stout 460 in a light chassis. And, the 0.68 OD is perfect to cruise. Got my TKO "kit" from Fortes Parts Connection... 20+ years ago.
However, a few drag strip launches with a deep-breathing stroker in a heavy chassis with grippy tires will likely shorten the TKO/TKX life. If you need a tranny that likes to be yanked on and abused, a Lenco Racing trans might be a better fit. 😉

·
Registered
494 Posts
Stangs used a TR3550 trans... the "almost a TKO" from Tremec. I like the TKO behind a stout 460 in a light chassis. And, the 0.68 OD is perfect to cruise. Got my TKO "kit" from Fortes Parts Connection... 20+ years ago.
However, a few drag strip launches with a deep-breathing stroker in a heavy chassis with grippy tires will likely shorten the TKO/TKX life. If you need a tranny that likes to be yanked on and abused, a Lenco Racing trans might be a better fit. 😉
What years did a Mustang use a TR3550 from the factory?

·
Registered
119 Posts
I believe it was the 1995 Cobra R with the 351W and TR3550 ...only ~250 or so were made / sold... right before releasing the new '96 4.6L "mod" motor.

The '95 R' opened the door to replace the T5 trannys (300ftlb capacity) with the TKO (500ftlb)

331 & 347 strokers with 500Hp was popular back then and that poor T5 just could not handle it.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Still working on this car. I picked up a freshly rebuilt top loader instead of a Tremec. This particular one is wide ratio, so should be a nice compromise for cruising. Found out the rear is 3.00 gears (I thought they were 2.00), so I'm going to try that first. Still need pedals and linkage, but its a good start. I've also purchased the full PMT suspension upgrade, so were starting on that now 1965-1976 FORD FULL SIZE GALAXIE 500 LTD MARK 4 T-BIRD PARK LANE TORINO SUSPENSION KIT | pmtfabrication.com and 1965-1976 FORD FULL SIZE GALAXIE 500 LTD MARK 4 T-BIRD PARK LANE TORINO FRONT CONTROL ARM KIT | pmtfabrication.com UPS has lost my front control arms so I'm starting with the rear.

My son talked me into making YouTube videos, were up to episode 7 now if you are interested in checking it out.

Cheers
Red

·
Registered
715 Posts
The NASCAR theme will be super cool but as straight as the car is,and what it was originally,I would be temped to restore it back to original,at least visually.Stick a 428 crank in that 390 and with some work,those FE's RUN!! That said,at the car shows,guys walk right by a concours correct resto and flock around what you have planned.Anyway,nice find and good luck with your project.Your story is kinda special to me as I see myself in your son.Some people are what I call naturals from birth and would rather have a wrench in their hand than anything else.You never really outgrow it.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The NASCAR theme will be super cool but as straight as the car is,and what it was originally,I would be temped to restore it back to original,at least visually.Stick a 428 crank in that 390 and with some work,those FE's RUN!! That said,at the car shows,guys walk right by a concours correct resto and flock around what you have planned.Anyway,nice find and good luck with your project.Your story is kinda special to me as I see myself in your son.Some people are what I call naturals from birth and would rather have a wrench in their hand than anything else.You never really outgrow it.
Thanks for the compliments, its been a fun build for us for sure. The car will probably get bodywork and paint at some point, but for now we are having fun with this theme. I have a 429 D0VE block for a 532 build in the future. I was able to score a complete pedal and linkage set up for the 4 speed, so no all I need is a clutch. After I get all the suspension in, the 4 speed swap will be next. The rear is basically done, moving to the front next.

Red

·
Registered
18 Posts
Whoever designed that Panhard bar knows nothing about the correct geometry of a Panhard bar. The bar should be as long as is possible to fit in the space available and parallel with the road surface at rest. I've seen so many of them that are junk that it is hard to find one that's done right. Your install will tweak the diff housing sideways on road bumps.

·
Registered
18 Posts
New here, so don't know how to edit yet, but I have always thought that this body would lend itself beautifully to a 4 or 5 inch sectioning job.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts