460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all!

First post, so please be gentle lol. Hope I'm in the right sub forum.

My son and I picked up a 65 Galaxie that we are building in vintage NASCAR (Gurney) style. Currently has a 390/auto in it. Future plans are for a 460/532 swap with a 5 speed. This is my first Ford build, and I've never had a Tremec, but I'm pretty sure I want a TKO. My question is, are these the same transmissions found in Mustangs? I was under the impression that the TKO was aftermarket "universal" unit but searching for used ones I see them out of Mustangs etc. Is this the same TKO you can buy new?

Thanks in advance for the info. We are having a blast with the build
Danny.jpg
so far.

Red & Ryan Jensen
Ol' Danny 65 Galaxie

·
Registered
222 Posts
I would skip over the TKO or TKX and go right to a Magnum 6spd. The Magnum will cost you more but it’s a much more stout transmission and has a higher torque rating. The TKX is the new TREMEC 5spd that fixed a lot of the issues with the TKO.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I would skip over the TKO or TKX and go right to a Magnum 6spd. The Magnum will cost you more but it’s a much more stout transmission and has a higher torque rating. The TKX is the new TREMEC 5spd that fixed a lot of the issues with the TKO.
Thanks. I aware of the TKO and Magnum, but I'm afraid that those are out of the budget.

Red

·
Registered
222 Posts
A TKO was never offered from the factory in any vehicle. If you try to use a T5 behind a BB it will be short lived, i believe the max torque capacity for a T5 was 335 or 350 ft/lbs.

If you can live without OD a Toploader is a better bet than a T5.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
A TKO was never offered from the factory in any vehicle. If you try to use a T5 behind a BB it will be short lived, i believe the max torque capacity for a T5 was 335 or 350 ft/lbs.

If you can live without OD a Toploader is a better bet than a T5.
Thanks, that clears up some of my confusion. I really do want an OD though. The plan is some freeway cruising to some shows etc.

Red

·
Registered
222 Posts
Well if you’re familiar with Coral.net I’d start there if you’re looking for a used TKO or Magnum. Find a trans before you buy a bellhousing or clutch so that you don’t waste $$ on a component you can’t use. In no way shape or form is this gonna be cheap, I have a 64 Galaxie that I drove for several summers with a mild 466 and TKO. Currently it’s torn apart but when it goes back together the built AFR headed 547 will be attached to a Magnum.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Well if you’re familiar with Coral.net I’d start there if you’re looking for a used TKO or Magnum. Find a trans before you buy a bellhousing or clutch so that you don’t waste $$ on a component you can’t use. In no way shape or form is this gonna be cheap, I have a 64 Galaxie that I drove for several summers with a mild 466 and TKO. Currently it’s torn apart but when it goes back together the built AFR headed 547 will be attached to a Magnum.
Thanks I'll check it out. I just scored this for my stroker build.

Red

Attachments

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hey all!

First post, so please be gentle lol. Hope I'm in the right sub forum.

My son and I picked up a 65 Galaxie that we are building in vintage NASCAR (Gurney) style. Currently has a 390/auto in it. Future plans are for a 460/532 swap with a 5 speed. This is my first Ford build, and I've never had a Tremec, but I'm pretty sure I want a TKO. My question is, are these the same transmissions found in Mustangs? I was under the impression that the TKO was aftermarket "universal" unit but searching for used ones I see them out of Mustangs etc. Is this the same TKO you can buy new?

Thanks in advance for the info. You can find best online canadian slots at https://know2day.com. Get free spins or welcome bonus for registration and enjoy the game. We are having a blast with the build View attachment 92669 so far.

Red & Ryan Jensen
Ol' Danny 65 Galaxie
Nice choice! Good luck with it.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Nice find with the Dove block. The other OD option is an overdrive unit mounted to the back of the trans, probably the same price in the end as an aftermarket OD manual but it’s an option.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Stangs used a TR3550 trans... the "almost a TKO" from Tremec. I like the TKO behind a stout 460 in a light chassis. And, the 0.68 OD is perfect to cruise. Got my TKO "kit" from Fortes Parts Connection... 20+ years ago.
However, a few drag strip launches with a deep-breathing stroker in a heavy chassis with grippy tires will likely shorten the TKO/TKX life. If you need a tranny that likes to be yanked on and abused, a Lenco Racing trans might be a better fit. 😉

·
Registered
222 Posts
Stangs used a TR3550 trans... the "almost a TKO" from Tremec. I like the TKO behind a stout 460 in a light chassis. And, the 0.68 OD is perfect to cruise. Got my TKO "kit" from Fortes Parts Connection... 20+ years ago.
However, a few drag strip launches with a deep-breathing stroker in a heavy chassis with grippy tires will likely shorten the TKO/TKX life. If you need a tranny that likes to be yanked on and abused, a Lenco Racing trans might be a better fit. 😉
What years did a Mustang use a TR3550 from the factory?

·
Registered
73 Posts
I believe it was the 1995 Cobra R with the 351W and TR3550 ...only ~250 or so were made / sold... right before releasing the new '96 4.6L "mod" motor.

The '95 R' opened the door to replace the T5 trannys (300ftlb capacity) with the TKO (500ftlb)

331 & 347 strokers with 500Hp was popular back then and that poor T5 just could not handle it.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts