460 Ford Forum banner
21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
You can argue with Ford, the Panhard bar is in the stock location lol. The pic is a bit deceiving as well, when on the ground the bar is nearly level.

Red

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I finally received all of the parts I had been waiting on to finish up the suspension upgrade in the Galaxie. I was able to get it all finished up this weekend and did an eyeball alignment so I could take it around the block. The whole car is 3-4" lower so I was worried about tire rub, but it's all good. The ride is excellent for being so stiff. Corners flatter than I ever thought possible for a big car, I'm thrilled. I can't wait to drive it with all the angles corrected after alignment.

Next thing to tackle is the 4 speed install. Does any one know if I can use the existing Cruise-O-Matic crossmember? I have everything else for the swap, so I'm just trying to minimize the time waiting for parts by ordering in advance.

Cheers
Red
Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Land vehicle

·
Registered
32 Posts
Whoever designed that Panhard bar knows nothing about the correct geometry of a Panhard bar. The bar should be as long as is possible to fit in the space available and parallel with the road surface at rest. I've seen so many of them that are junk that it is hard to find one that's done right. Your install will tweak the diff housing sideways on road bumps.
That bar is designed to be direct bolt-in replacement.
If you want custom, PMT can build anything you desire.

I have the same kit going in my 65 soon.

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #25 ·
Hey all,

Hoping for a little help here. I have swapped the auto for a top loader 4 speed. Where im
Having an issue is with the Z bar/ equalizer assembly. I have the pivot mount on the frame, but not sure where it mounts transmission side. The bracket from the auto linkage seems like it would work, but the whole Z bar assembly is too wide. I thought I saw another post about the pivot mounting to a boss on the block, but my 390 has no provisions for that.
What am I doing wrong?

Red
Material property Auto part Metal Bag Electric blue

Tire Land vehicle Wheel Vehicle Automotive tire

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Vehicle brake Rim Automotive exhaust

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread Automotive exterior Rim

·
Registered
65 Galaxie
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
Well, I ended up going with a hydraulic clutch kit from American Powertrain. It is a very nice kit that uses a Wilwood master and their Hydramax line of thowout bearings. The biggest pains have been mounting the master cylinder to the firewall (not much room) and I had to pull the transmission out 3 times to get the shim stack correct. I used their measurement method, but it was off. The clutch rattles while disengaged, so I'm still missing something. I’m getting good at dropping the tranny, I can get it in and out in under an hour now haha.
Tire Wheel Automotive tire Tread Yellow

Handwriting Wood Finger Font Nail

Getting there though!

Red
Tire Wheel Hood Light Automotive tire

Hood Automotive tire Automotive lighting Motor vehicle Wheel

21 - 26 of 26 Posts