460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’ll be putting a 460 into an 80s truck.

I like the looks of the newish TKX transmission, I’m thinking I may go with this option. I plan on getting close to 580-600 HP, which is right at the limit of the TKX.

Has anyone played with this tranny yet?
And will this bolt up to a factory top loader bell housing like the ones I see on eBay? Or will I have to buy one of those QuickTime adapter bell housings for $800ish?

Thanks for any input!

·
Registered
222 Posts
You’re not going to want to hear this but save up the extra $$ and go right to a Magnum unless you can steal a TKX. I have not yet put my hands on a TKX but I do have a 3550 on the shelf, a TKO in my Mustang and a Magnum to go behind the 547 for my Galaxie. Im hesitant to think that TREMEC could have improved upon the TKO design enough to be better than the Magnum. Just my $.02

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You’re not going to want to hear this but save up the extra $$ and go right to a Magnum unless you can steal a TKX. I have not yet put my hands on a TKX but I do have a 3550 on the shelf, a TKO in my Mustang and a Magnum to go behind the 547 for my Galaxie. Im hesitant to think that TREMEC could have improved upon the TKO design enough to be better than the Magnum. Just my $.02
I was looking at the Magnum also, but the lower price and potential easier installation of the TKX is tempting. Do you know about the bell housing situation?

·
Registered
222 Posts
All of the aftermarket bellhousings cost about the same as do clutches so besides the trans cost the price is negligible.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts