460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
These are the first ones I made, i can make more saves alot of time. never have to worrie about headers,starter,clearence.Made of high quality alluminum.The Stuff they make bridges out off. Can make the mount to wear it hangs over the frame,the father inlaw likes this way better I like the clean cut. I havent seen any like these,they are easy to install and u dont have to mess with the water pump\ timing cover. U hve to weld or bolt a piece of angle iron on the frame when you get the motor set the way u want it. 100bucks /125 polished, I get off @ 10pm Start @1:30 so call if u have any questions 1-660-815-4391 John Kopp in Marshall, Mo
P.S. my frend took the pic and the one on the left is upside down:eek:

Attachments

·
Registered
476 Posts
pics

what heads do they work with.I had the same idea but lacked the tools to make...iam really intersted in these if you can get us all a pic of them installed you prolly can sell some of these..Thanks Paul

·
Banned
2,451 Posts
Got to watch Bolting mounts to heads on anything with some HP, it will cause distortion and Blown heads Gaskets. Thats why typical motor Plates use the Front timing Cover bolts rather than head accessory Bolt holes. FYI

·
Registered
59 Posts
We agree with dfree383.
Ford production V8's only have 10 head bolts per head and 4 per cyl to start with and keeping head gaskets in a high compression 385 can be challenging without pushing/pulling/distorting the head as well!!(It's even worse with alum. heads!)
That is why we use, sell & recommend a motorplate system that mounts on the timing cover plus a mid plate & dual lateral limiters to minimize these issues.
We won't even use/sell a solid motor mount as it creates issues such as breaking of the block's motor mount bosses,pulls out of the K member & distorts the block. When you build/machine your block/engine, you go to the expense & trouble to bore & hone the block with torque plate to simulate the slight amount of distortion that you get by tightening the head bolts/stud and then with solid mounts you apply 800 h/p and 700-800 ft lbs of torque between the middle two cyls on a "production type" thin wall cast type block??
When Bob Glidden was still racing they say he built his engines on the floor because he claimed that the block distorted just from hanging it on an engine stand from the bellhousing/block bolts!

In our findings -it is either a rubber type motor mount for moderate h/p application or a complete/correct motorplate system for serious h/p applications.

Bob
D&D AUTOMOTIVE SPECIALTIES
FORD & MUSTANG PERFORMANCE
Winning Ford combinations since 1987!!
610-432-0041 (phn.)
[email protected]
www.ddautospec.com

·
Registered
208 Posts
Do the plates bolt to the block or the heads? They aren't saying there's a problem with the plates, they are saying if the plates bolt to the heads, then the torque pulling against the plates to the heads could cause the head to distort and allow a head gasket to blow.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
to the heads

Yes they mount to the heads,use good bolts?/I use studs if ever possible,lock washers. here is a pic of the tork these plates and heads took all race season and year and half before as a daily driver.

Attachments

1 - 9 of 9 Posts