460 Ford Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Idon't want tomake the wrong choise one guy will say 9 another 8.8's good enough building a 557 with 400 turbo trans in a 88 stang notch 14 1/2 to 1 comp.with scj re revised heads. Any info would be of great help (stuck on stupid) don't want to move till i hear real story's.......:):confused:

·
Registered
219 Posts
Slicks I assume??
Go with the 9" or buy an 8.8 and after you break the axle tubes at the center section then you can buy a 9".

Aaron

·
Registered
43 Posts
I've been debating on the same thing. I just don't know if the $ its gonna take to beef up a 8.8 is worth it. I'm debating on a mini-tubbed 8.8 or 4-link/ladder bar 9in. Maybe some pros will chime in on the cost aspect. My car is gonna be an 86 fox with 13.5 to 1 545 with p-51s and a glide (all still in the works). I'd like to know the same thing as you.

·
Registered
170 Posts
rearend ?

I prefer the 9 due to it's ultimate strength ease of changing gear, the 8.8 can be beefed up, requires welding axle tubes to center and a rear cover that offers additional support for the carrier bearing caps, friend had one in fox mustang 532 w/glide, ladder bar set up, car left hard no issues with 8.8 had moser axles and spool, down side is setting rear end up under car as opposed to setting up center section on bench like the 9.

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
reply to feedback

I prefer the 9 due to it's ultimate strength ease of changing gear, the 8.8 can be beefed up, requires welding axle tubes to center and a rear cover that offers additional support for the carrier bearing caps, friend had one in fox mustang 532 w/glide, ladder bar set up, car left hard no issues with 8.8 had moser axles and spool, down side is setting rear end up under car as opposed to setting up center section on bench like the 9.
Hey thanx i do understand the welding part and axle part but durability ,longevity is my concern.with what i'm going to put it through in the long run.... even after the first year i may add porting to heads and dual quads,will it hold up ... but i think just to build a stock rearend into a race rear is just totaly cool and different..someone else says it will break on the first pass (for witch i find hard to beleive!).......

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
glide coment

9" hands down, I'd also reconsider the turbo 400 for a glide since your going GM anyway.
Personally,no punt intended,(totally dislike the glide)... my favorate is the 350 turbo but know, it won't handle the power, love the ratio of the 350 t. wish i could run it but, already accepted I can't ..... It's just like the c4 i'm getting rid of,posted here on site,could run that but ,made another mistake.could run c4 but ,same issue not sure of durability...so i chose,400 turbo....beefed up a little,........:confused::confused::confused

·
Registered
360 Posts
meh... I have seen both take an insane amount of power without issues. Look at all the "stock" suspension/chassis fox bodies out there. Personally, I am putting an 8.8" form an Explorer behind my 460. Not too crazy, probably 500hp~ and then a 200 shot of nitrous.

There is a local guy running an 8.8" in his low 9 second fox body and he has not had any issues. Granted, he has a 4G63T engine in it so the insane torque isn't there but...

·
Registered
170 Posts
JT my friends car had tunnel ram 2x1050s and ported Blue Thunder cobra jet port style heads, He never had issue with rearend, the car still races today however it has a milder engine now runs low 10s. Just letting you know what he had.

·
Registered
152 Posts
I never had a tuff time figuring out if I wanted to keep the 8.8

I had that sucker out form under my car faster then a nascar crew. Put in a fab 9 housing and a N case with a spool. the other thing to think about is if you trailered your car 300 miles to a race and blow the rear on your first quallifing pass your towing your car back home with no chance of racing in two hours.

on a nine inch everything is built on a drop out third member that can come out of the car as fast as you can jack the rear up,then you clean out the debris throw a complete spair unit and a 1/2 tube of silicone and your backout there racing in 45 minutes.

I built my car with the worst case senerio in mind, it will save you alot of time later. same thing with a removable trans tunnel. and running a powerglide. If I need a spair glide in the heat of the moment at the race track it would take no longer then 10 minutes to find one..LOL if you the same parts everyone else runs then let them haul around the spairs and buy from them as you need it.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
since your going GM anyway.....lol just like the news media> use part of a quote to serve your own means> heck go with a glide and a 12 bolt. faster and cheaper. smartarse bob

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
made my final decision!!!!

since your going GM anyway.....lol just like the news media> use part of a quote to serve your own means> heck go with a glide and a 12 bolt. faster and cheaper. smartarse bob
OK with all of everone's accurate information,and knowledgeful help i have made a decision to gooooo wiiittthhh .the undesputed king...

THE FORD ...........................................9inch rearend
i found 4. nine inch housings in my area for $100 dollers and a Large support bearing by mosier for 50 dollers ( it's a start) i'll gather the rest as i go... NOW I'll have 3 for sale..

I JUST WANT TO SAY THANK YOU FOR YOUR TIME AND PATIENTS EVERY ONE WHO COMMENTED!!!!!!!:):):):):):D:D:D:D

ps. Ijust can't do the power glide!!!!!!!

·
Registered
302 Posts
Isn't the 8.8 fords copy of the 12 bolt? In other words basically the same? Or have I lost my mind? (again)

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
You can add me as well. You will fight the three speed,,,, any three speed with the torque you will be making. A lot of guys have struggled for a long time before finally switching and were surprised to go faster with the glide. Its not a Ford vs Chevy thing it is just a physics thing. Less drag, less weight, more/better parts avail, less shifts, They just plain work. If the chevy thing bothers you it is possible to build one with absolutely no stock GM parts at all.

dkp

·
Premium Member
5,231 Posts
Isn't the 8.8 fords copy of the 12 bolt? In other words basically the same? Or have I lost my mind? (again)
Yes they are almost the same rearend, the bearing interchange they use the same shims... and if you could find same length axles and carrier from a 12 bolt they would swap right into an 8.8. The bearings and shimpack in my 8.8 were packaged as 12 bolt parts which for some reason are cheaper that way.

·
Registered
1,317 Posts
jt557,,,i hate to admit it but i agonized over every freakin part of my build. i swear it drove me crazy and i second guessed every little thing....but i promised my self once i purchased something i was gonna stick with it. so anyway i hope you do better than me and i was only trying to bring some levity to your post. hope you do better than me, lol. bobn

·
Premium Member
96 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
#1 you really shouldn't ask if you lost your mind! how the hell are we suppose to know ( tee hee hee ):rolleyes: anyway that does make sence though!!
you might be right!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts